atypical glandular cells
My sister -- who is 46 and has never been pregnant -- just got back the results of a routine PAP smear, and the report found she had atypical glandular cells.  Her doctor ordered a colposcopy and a biopsy, which will be performed January 2nd.  All the information I found online about atypical glandular cells is frightening!  She has no symptoms, other than a couple of yeast infections about a month or so before the Pap was performed. What are some statistics and other information about this? Does it mean she may have cancer or a pre-cancerous condition?
Hi Annalise,
AGS (atypical glandular cells) can reflect a premalignant condition 40 % of the time. Most diagnoses have to do with premalignant conditions of the cervix. Rarely a problem from the uterus or ovaries is identified. It is important that your sister see a gynecologist. She will undergo an evaluation of the cervix called a colposcopy. Many women then undergo a biopsy of the cervix called a LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) and a biopsy of the lining of the uterus. I usually also get a pelvic ultrasound to check the ovaries.
best wishes to you
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker