Ovarian Cancer Community
blood transfusion during chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

blood transfusion during chemo

My mom just had a blood transfusion to help with low blood counts & severa weakness/fatigue (she was dx'd stage IIIC in October, had 4 rounds of carboplatin/taxol when they determined that her cancer was spreading & switched her to doxil, but has been very sick & weak every day on the doxil & is now severly anemic).  ANyway, her doctor said she would be feeling better w/in 24 hours following the transfusion .., but shje isn't.  Does anyone have any experinece with this that you can share?
I had a blood transfusion for low haemoglobin counts while on Gemzar/Carbo.  It took longer than 24 hours to feel a bit better, more like 2 to 3 days.  Hope this helps and your mom feels much better soon.
Thank you so much - I hope this information lifts my mom's spirits a bit.  She is very depressed and wants to stop her treatment,
I had 3 blood transfusions after 4 rounds of chemo and didn't feel better for about a week.  I then had 3 more transfusions after the last go around and also it took about 5 days.... Please tell your Mom to have patience it will happen.. Best to you both.  Ronni
Hopefully, wrk, when your mom feels a bit better after the transfusion kicks in..she won't be so depressed. Depression goes hand in hand with the rollercoaster challenges of this disease.  It might be worth a word with the doctor because anti-depressents can help. I am all for anything that helps us get through this and helps make us be a little more comfortable which can aid in helping us to cope with it. Best of luck and let your mom know that she is not alone, and, nor are you. I am new to this forum, but it seems very informative and we all need all the help and support we can get..and give, if it helps even in a tiny way.