blood transfusion during chemo
My mom just had a blood transfusion to help with low blood counts & severa weakness/fatigue (she was dx'd stage IIIC in October, had 4 rounds of carboplatin/taxol when they determined that her cancer was spreading & switched her to doxil, but has been very sick & weak every day on the doxil & is now severly anemic).  ANyway, her doctor said she would be feeling better w/in 24 hours following the transfusion .., but shje isn't.  Does anyone have any experinece with this that you can share?
I had a blood transfusion for low haemoglobin counts while on Gemzar/Carbo.  It took longer than 24 hours to feel a bit better, more like 2 to 3 days.  Hope this helps and your mom feels much better soon.
Thank you so much - I hope this information lifts my mom's spirits a bit.  She is very depressed and wants to stop her treatment,
I had 3 blood transfusions after 4 rounds of chemo and didn't feel better for about a week.  I then had 3 more transfusions after the last go around and also it took about 5 days.... Please tell your Mom to have patience it will happen.. Best to you both.  Ronni
Hopefully, wrk, when your mom feels a bit better after the transfusion kicks in..she won't be so depressed. Depression goes hand in hand with the rollercoaster challenges of this disease.  It might be worth a word with the doctor because anti-depressents can help. I am all for anything that helps us get through this and helps make us be a little more comfortable which can aid in helping us to cope with it. Best of luck and let your mom know that she is not alone, and, nor are you. I am new to this forum, but it seems very informative and we all need all the help and support we can get..and give, if it helps even in a tiny way.