bulky uterus
I have seen my GP after months of irregular periods which are extremely heavy with clotting. He did an internal and referred me for blood test and a scan and said I have a bulky uterus, I have no idea what this is and was recovering from having an internal sprung on me so didnt ask any questions. I have to wait for another 4 weeks for the scan and Im really worried as I have lack of knowing. I get very painful backache a few days before my period and excruciating pelvic pain during. I find intercourse very painful and I cant even wear a tampon now due to the pain it causes. Can anyone advise me what I could be looking at having wrong with me and what 'bulky' actually means within the uterus. Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks
Im 35. I just wished id asked more questions to the GP at the time instead of having to wait until the hospital appt. Thanks for you help. I had progesterine medication when i was 21 as i was having a lot of pain and they said it was low then. I will look into it all so i can at least understand about it all. Thanks again
H
Hi Hazel,

I am sorry that I do not know what the doctor might be referring to, either. But, I do know that one reason those blood clots show up can be due to an excess of estrogen in your system, or perhaps a fluctuation of estrogen, or too much estrogen and not enough progesterone (the kind produced by the body during ovulation, not referring to the synthetic progestins). May I ask how old you are? Wondering if this might be a start of perimenopause. I did not know what the clotting was all about until after I had my hysterectomy in 2000. So, you are smart to ask questions. Wish I could be more helpful.

On the other hand, if estrogen was low, that could cause vaginal dryness which can cause pain when attempting to use a tampon, or to have intercourse.

Try googling the some of the symptoms and include the words estrogens and progesterone and see what you get. Try not to be overwhelmed, though. As one friend recently said, "Your eyes will glaze over while reading all this stuff on hormones...but, hang in there."

I am not sure what the back ache and pelvic pain might be. Glad you are being proactive in your health care...keep asking questions!

I have had so many problems related to hormonal changes that I automatically look to hormones before I look elsewhere. I have been shocked and amazed at how much our hormones (including decreasing amounts and imbalances) dictate what our bodies are going through. But, I could be totally off on what is causing you such distress. Just throwing out ideas.

Take care, Mary
hazel, i have the same thing and i was diagnosed with andemyosis which is painful, im waiting on my mri but my doctor wants to do a hysterectomy ...read up on andeomyosis..its most likely what u have.

kris
Hi again,

Good luck when you see the doctor. I want to recommend my favorite book (for this subject that is)...it is called "The Wisdom of Menopause." It is by Christianne Northrup, MD. It came out in roughly 2000. It has been a lifesaver for me. This woman has helped me in many ways...lots to learn and she explains it well. And, I have a friend who went to see her in Maine, before she left her practice to lecture and write...and, my friend thought she was great.

Take care, Mary
I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago at age 31 for what they thought was adenomyosis.  The surgery was laparotomy because of the bulkyness of the uterus.  I turned out to have hyperplasia without atypia, a possibly precancerous condition to endometrial cancer usually caused by too much unopposed estrogen.  I have been dealing with recurring cysts since last year after my oopherectomy for a 10cm L cyst.  I watch this site regularly and get so many questions answered.  You are in the right place for some support.  I also read Christiane Northrups books.  Get ahold of the menopause one and the Womens Bodies Womens Wisdom one as well.  Adenomyosis is a cousin to endometriosis where the endometrium sort of roots downward into the muscle layers to the best of my understanding.
I just wanted to let you know that I have been going through the back pain the pelvic pain where it hurts to even sit down or go to the little girls room the pain is that bad....pain with intercourse and cramps afterwards....my obgyn said i had adenomyosis and said there was a way that he uses to determine it and it was with a shot called lupron.....its a big decision but one i did make to use........it puts you in premenopausal symptoms......you can take the hormones if you need to but i just delt with the hot flashes and being very very moody lol it stops your period and when it did wala no more pain......so that told my doctor that his thought was correct .......you can only use that for about 6 months its not a cure just a short fix................the answer is a hysterectomy......but in the meantime my doctor left to go teach and i had to find a new one..........well i seen him yesterday and it was his same diagnosis .........all the symptoms and when he examined me he almost made me climb the wall lol  so his answer was when do you want to schedule the hysterectomy...i also have pain the 2 days i ovulate which i always knew when i did but now its just as painful as the period time........so he says the overies should go b/c they are making to much estrogen so if i leave them then i will still have pain and will be back to have them removed..........

any info you find out please let me know.........thank you tammy age 37
over the last 6 years i have been having pain in my left groin, lower back and my stomach , before my period i have really bad cramps in the lower abdemon, ive been to the pain clinic as they thought i had a trapped nerve as i have had 2 c sections and a tummy tuck following a twin pregancy this last time they did xray and ultra sound on kidneys and liver as they found i had a really bad water infection which i had no sytems apart from wanting the toilet more often (put down to cold weather) also had ct scan which showed a bulky uterus, the pain has increased from 15min to 3-5 hrs ive asked my doctor to refer me to either rule out fibriods or confirm as the only thing the hospital can say they will refer me back to the pain clinic again but ive had steriod injection and the following day had another bout of pain, any one else had a similar experience.

shell

ps im 45yrs in good health with 4 children 15yrs , 10yrs and twins 7
A bulky uterus , backache , heavy bleeding, and pain are all possible symptoms of fibroids, I had a very bulky uterus that contained 16 fibroids and one of which was larger than the size of an average uterus on its own! , you can see why this would cause pain as it would be pressing on other structures in the pelvis.
I hope you get the answers after your scan , please let us know how you get on and good luck.

Best wishes Angie
A related discussion, bulky uterus and continuous bleeding was started.