Ovarian Cancer Community
calcification of the ovary and cyst with debris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I just had a US done and it came back that my I have a prominent endometrial canal, fluid in the cul de sac, a 3x1.4x1.1 cyst with debris in my left ovary, and puncated calcification in my right ovary.  My ca125 came back within the limits.  I can't find anything in the internet about calcification in the ovary.  I have read that it could start abnormal cell growth.  Does anyone know anything about calcif in the ovary.  Also, the debris in the other ovary cyst.  What follow up should I do.  Should I do the laporoscopy or wait and do another US later.  Do either of these link to cancer in the ovary.  Please help.  I was told the calcif won't go away.  My doctor didn't seem to be too concerned at this point.  Is it something I just have to wait and watch or is it linked to cancer?  I looked up the symptom of OC and I fit all of them.  I have Irritable Bowl syndrom (syndrome) to the point of thinking I was dying, my legs and lower back kills me.  SEx is mostly painful. My periods are extremely painful and either last 1 day or I feel as if I will bleed to death.  I am extremely always. They are never regular.  I used to be on the date. I am 36 years old and have 2 kids.  So far I had surgery for my uterine lining to be removed b/c too thick and samples of some lumps in there.  My ovary had cysts before but with fluid.  Several times I have had fluid in my cul de sac.  2 bad paps. All within last 3 yrs.  I physically feel as if something is wrong.  Is the calcification from an infection in my ovary?  So many questions.  Please help.
At one time, doctors believed that calcification in the ovary was an indicator of cancer.  So, do not panic if you see old statistics to that effect on the internet!  These days, due to the ease of imaging, what with the ultrasounds and open MRIs, doctors now know that calcification might not indicate anything other than chronic inflammation.  Yes, it is my understanding that the most common cause of calcification is chronic inflammation.

Your symptoms are likely due to the hormonal disruption caused by the cyst, as well as the fact that you have a cyst.  It is amazing that even a relatively small cyst can cause so much pain and swelling.  As for the debris, that often indicates that the cyst hemorrhages, or bleeds, and over time this repeated bleeding causes the debris (bits of tissue and bloody clots) to form inside a cyst.

I sense a great deal of indecision on your part.  My suggestion is that you seek another opinion, if that is an option available to you. It is quite likely that you will need surgery, but even then  you will want to understand all the various options available, so that you can return to good health.
As for the cancer connection, who knows!!  Seriously, though, among all the theories about the causes of cancers is indeed the theory that chronic inflammation can eventually lead to cancer.  However, we know that it does not always lead to cancer, so the theory is far from proven!
Thanks to both of you for your advice.  The doctor wants to do a laporoscopy.  I have an appt with a 2nd opinion tomorrow.  I then have a preop appt with my gyn on the 12th.  I don't want to do the lap, b/c last time I had it to remove my gallbladder I was in much pain and discomfort.  I asked my gyn if we could do another US in 6 weeks and the nurse told me he said that he didn't think it would matter nor would the insurance want to pay for it.  I have lots of questions for him, but I have to wait till the 12th to get answers.  You know how that goes.  I just had hoped that maybe it would all go away on its own.  I was told by a friend who is a chiro that calcif doesn't ever go away.  Is that true.  Will it constantly irritate my ovary?  My Ovary is slightly enlarged but not much. My left one is bigger.  It has the cyst with debris in it.  The cyst is 2.4x1.4x1.2.  It is over half the size of my ovary.  What would you do?  I have had surgery already on my uterous for the lining being 3x the thickness and some inflammation.  They removed the lining and tested it. No cancer.  I have had 2 bad paps and those came out clean on the 2nd round. I also have IBS and slight colitis of my colon.  I am concerned there is something more here.  Maybe my colon is involved.  Tiredof always not feeling well. No energy.  I am only 35!!!!
Yes, that is also my understanding - that the calcification will not go away on its own.  As for the enlarged ovary, are they certain it is enlarged?  I ask because prior to my surgery, the ultrasound indicated that my ovary (the one with a cyst) was enlarged.  However, at surgery, it was discovered that the ovary was simply deformed, and completely 'scrunched' out of shape by the large cyst.  It was so badly damaged that it had blue streaks in it.   Cysts like dermoids and endometriomas tend to be very "solid" even with the fluids they contain, and these cysts can really exert a lot of pressure against the other tissues and organs in the body.

It sounds like you have a host of health problems.  I hope the doctors can solve at least one of them for you.
Please help I have just been told I have calcification on one of my overies. I have crohn's and colitis.I have been on steroids now for two months along with another drug.Could this have caused the problem? Can this cause infertility, I would like to have a baby in the near future.