Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
can ct scan see ovaries well?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

can ct scan see ovaries well?

Hi Dr Goodman,
Just a quick question.I received my ct scan back. It says Volumetric acquesition of the abdomen and pelvis done following oral and iv contrast.
Findings:Liver,gallbladder,pancreas,kidneys,adrenals,spleen appear normal. The uterus appears normal.
Evidence of a large cystic lesion in the right adnexa of size 6x6.6cm. No solid /enhancing component noted within.
My questions are 1)can ct scan visualize the ovaries well enough to determine that there is no solid component?My understanding is ct scan is not really used to visualize ovaries(not that i'm complaining but just want reassurance!)>2) What does 'adnexa' mean? Conclusion of report says Large cystic lesion size consistant with the previously mentioned ultrasound size in August. Does this all sound good to you???
Sorry for all the questions just scared and getting nervous about surgery.
Thank You
Mary
Hi There,
It does all sound good. A ct scan is a great test to look at the whole abdomen. So I usually get it to double check that I am not missing something else when I am planning a surgery for someone with an ovarian cyst. It is not the best test to look at the ovaries. Ultrasound is best for just focusing on the ovaries.

Adnexa means in the area of the ovaries.
best wishes to you