Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
cancer cells & pregnancy!

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

cancer cells & pregnancy!

Okay so I'm currently 34w 5d pregnant with a little boy and I was told about a year and a half before becoming pregnant I couldn't get pregnant due to cancer cells/or cervical cancer.. Could this be my only child (miracle baby)? & what are the risks for cancer with him? I have a continuous pattern of cancer in my family history! Please help, Very worried!
Hi There
it would be good to get your records and review exactly what your history is. You should ask for copies of all pap smears, biopsies and any treatments that you have undergone.That will help you clear any confusion you have about what is going on.

Terminology can be confusing and many healthcare providers will try to translate medical terms into English (or the language of their country) and sometimes that causes confusion

cervical cancer is treated either by radiation or a radical hysterectomy
if you still have your uterus, it is unlikely that you had cancer of the cervix
(there is a rare group of young women who have such an early cervical cancer that we try to spare the uterus with a fertility sparing surgery that just removes the cervix which is called a radical trachelectomy).

I suspect you had an abnormal pap smear and evaluation showed you to have cervical dysplasia which is also called cervical intraepithelial neoplasia.CIN. This is  considered a premalignant condition which means that if left untreated over many years, it will progress to cancer.

some CIN is so mild that it is just watched without any therapy. For some CIN, the treatment is local excision , freezing, or laser. Whatever the case, it is not cancer and not life threatening. None of these situations is transferable to a fetus.
good luck with your pregnancy!

(also as this is an ovarian cancer forum - what you describe is not related to ovarian cancer)
best wishes