Ovarian Cancer Community
cancer has returned

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

cancer has returned

well got news from ctscan 3 days ago it is now in my small intestine,any one out their have this happen .i wa sonly in remission for 5months and its back already,,would really like to hear if a nyone out there has this and what there input is...thanks love gabby
Sorry to hear that you're remission was so short, I know how disappointing that is because my remission after carbo/taxol was only 3 or 4 months. Mine came back in my lymph nodes.

I was then started on Topotecan, which worked well for 10 months with few side effects. Now I'm on Gemzar and it's too soon to know if that's working.

What is your oncologist's next course of action for your return of the cancer?

I know that you're rightfully upset, but as my oncologist keeps saying, there are lots of options for us and new ones are coming along all the time.

I hate this disease as much as I know you do. hang in there, we're all in this fight together.

Jane
thanks so much for reaching out,it is such a time of difficulty,sometimes i think i check out of my own reality so i dont have to deal with it,other then that i know GOD is bringing me threw all of this...will find out this week what course of treatment will go with.

i had ovarain cancer last yr so did the total hysterectomy debulking and disection on part of the bowel and colon and had to leave some cause they couldnt get all the cancer...chemo for 9 months very aggresiv when we started my marker was over 4700,then when chemo was done etc my marker was 6 then 14 and after 5 months it jumped back to 372,so i dont know how serious all this is i keep being grateful its not in my liver ,cause that is a good sign right...gail
oh by the way i am 55,stage 111 c
love to hear any input thanks jane..GOD BLESS YOU
Hi gabby,
Unfortunatly I am in a similar boat to you. My remission periods seem to be about 8 months between chemo rounds. My numbers have just started to move again. My management of my disease is to have chemo on a relatively frequent basis, probably every year. I would love to have longer normal periods. I have just returned to work. The extra money is wonderful. I have accepted this sort of pattern now but it is not easy. My problem is that friends and relatives think all is well because I look so good in the face. I try to cope by keeping healthy & eating well to boost my immune system, ready for the next onslaught; this doesn't mean I'm not worried or really tired. Things are certainly a long way from normal. It is difficult for those with longer remission periods to understand what is going on; or for those with other forms of cancer with projected and long remission periods to be in our shoes. Do whatever you can to stay balanced and try to minimise the times when you may be low. I know how hard this is.
In Australia the Dr's like to wait until the patient is symptomatic and have increased CA125 before having more chemo. The research indicates for people such as myself, going in with chemo earlier, does not have any better outcome, or rather the outcome is equally successful and effective. Same as you my liver is still clear which I see as a blessing. To the Dr's liver involvement seems to be no biggie though.
I sincerely wish you well in the near future.
thank you so much for replying,its a real big help when i know someone else has the same concerns and understands the way we feel...yes people say wow you look great, your hair came in beautiful, however inside you feel like crap...and bless them for there love and care andsupport..i commend you sue you are working wow, i dont have the stamina i find i am to tired etc....good for you....however i am over weight but that never stopped me until this ovarian cancer came last yr...i guess we all have our own strenghts eh...
i go monday to see oncologist to discuss what they are going to do so will let you know when i get back,,,until then GOD bless you all and keep moving forward love and blessings from gail in canada
Hi Gail,
I'm so glad you reached out to us for support and help and you're right we understand what you're going through because we've been there.

Yesterday I saw a dermatologist and had a biopsy done, she looked at me and said, "you look great" I thought to myself, "why because I'm not bald or emaciated?"
And yes I felt so tired and crappy inside.

Hang in there, let us know how it goes at your oncologist appointment Monday.
Jane

It just *****, no other way to put it.  I met a wonderful woman in a support group who is ten years out from Ovarian Stage 3C.  She has the most amazing attitude, says that every year or so, she has a reoccurrence, deals with it and gets on with her life.  As I'm facing my 2nd reoccurrence now (6months after cyber knife treatment), just trying to mirror her courage and grace.  Difficult at times, as you know.
my goodness is this so nice of you ladies to reply and thank you for the comments,it is so encouraging to  hear that hey i am normal in the sense that others feel tired and crappy,i was thinking maybe i am just getting lazy,because i have to push threw just to go to the store or the simplest of things its like i think, do i really have the stamina to go do laundry etc...i am so sorry that you all feel this way however it encourages me to know that hey others understand....i am ever grateful to you all and i will let you know what happens monday thank you ever so much GOD BLESS YOU ALL...gail
hi its gabby55 well my report from   seeing oncologist monday was not a good one.my tumor marker is up now to 572,i have a plaxin something resistance tumor,in other words it resisted the chemo,so now monday thye r starting me on calex there is only a 20% chance this chemo will work..the cance ris on my bowel and omentum she said its the worst place it could be.so try the chemo for 3 months see if its going to show a change if not we will see fr there. if it is helping they can keep me on for up to a yr...all things it doesnt look good however i am trying to stay in the in of this and not be on the out if it....how did u make out jane 65???may we all receive a miracle...GOD BLESS US ALL
well have been on doxil(caelyx) now this on the 12th of july will be my 4th round...catscan was the 16th june came back 3 new growths one by liver one by large bowel and dont remevber the other one..anywyas my counts went up to 1400 and they are now down to just under 900,so that is good,..they said thye will give me 3 more rounds and catscan and see whats happening from their...the oncologist said not to fixate on the new growths caus e3 more rounds of chemo and we could see a diff....and how r u doing jane on this doxil.\???i have one blister only in between my fingers thus far...let m eknow hwo u r doing ...gabby55