Ovarian Cancer Community
cancer or not

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

cancer or not

A ct scan with contrast dye states- "4.3x2x1.9cm solid low density lesion in right adnexa, cystic vs fat island. Also 2 sigmoid diverticuli but no diverticulitis. And 4mm hypoechoic lesion on tail of pancreas(for which it is recommended a  follow-up MRI be done in a year OR at time of pelvic MRI)  This was done on NOV 7.   MRI is not until DEC 11. Also had transvag ultrasound prior to ct but results were not decisive according to physician doing it, when I asked her. My question are they making me wait so long for a gyn oncologist appt(DEC 4) and MRI (DEC 11) because it is unlikey malignant?  By the way, I got these tests done at the time that I had just got a severe pain in the LEFT groin and it radiates to the anterior thigh as far as the knee..possibly from my job..they found the lesion at this time
Waiting is the hardest!!!!

There are no tests, other than a biopsy of the mass, that can detect ovarian cancer.   CT Scans, Transvaginals, MRIs are all tools used along with blood tests and the careful eye of doctors to decide if surgery is the best way to go.  While sometimes based on size, location, shape, etc doctors feel with little uncertainity if a mass is benign or malignant.

MOST ovarian cysts, etc are benign, well over 95 percent of them.  Ovarian cancer is a pretty rare disease.

The wait  until Dec 4th to see a GYN/Oncologist is not that long, and if GYN/Oncologist feels after reviewing your records that it is an emergency for you to be seen, they would get you into the office earlier.   Wait times also vary depending on your location and the number of GYN/Oncologists in the area.

The cysts/masses you have are pretty small.  Most doctors do not consider surgery until they measure at least 5 or 6 cms, it is at this point that they can start twisting and cause problems.  Not to say that the cysts you have are not causing pain and issues, they most likely are.

Right now, try really hard to not to worry...worrying won't change the outcome, and right now it is out of your hands.  Stay off the internet, you are causing a lot of what could very well be undo anxiety.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

HI..the lesion was considered likely to be fibroid , benign and not growing much(had another transvag U/S last week),the left side groin and leg was considered unrelated to the lesion and because it did not show as anything on ct scan, it will have to wait for the MRI Dec 11. The lesion will be followed up at cancer clinic in January to check for changes