Ovarian Cancer Community
coloring of hair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

coloring of hair

I know tis may sound like a trivial question and I am asking it for my friend who has been battling stage for several years - she is going to a wedding and wants to color her hair. She is in the midst of chemo and was told by her sister who has lymphoma that she could not color her hair. My friend is not yet ready to read and post questions so I offered to do it for her.  Any advice?

Nakina
Hi!  I don't have any advice, but I am greatful you posted, because I am concerned about my bodies changes and would also like to get my hair colored.

If anyone has information on the affects of hair coloring on a woman who has had a compl. hysterectomy (I am reading that hair, skin, lots of stuff changes as a results of medically induced menopause)... please let me know?  I have a beauty shop appt on 05/04 (hoping to fancy myself up some before returning to work!)

Thank you, dear sisters for your attention to my silly requests!

love,
Donna
I used the the color that washes out after six shampoos.  It was better than nothing, had no reactions.
Thank you - I will let her know. Her hair has turned a little grey and she had some curl to it when it came back. I will let her know. Has anyone used a permanent shampoo in color?

Thanks again
I heard that you can use certain products, but I'm not sure if it is OK while on active chemo.  Ask the chemo nurses, they will have a reliable answer.

Judy
I was told absolutely not when on chemo.  Of course I had no hair so it didn't matter.  My last chemo was this past August and I colored my hair just last month with my oncologists blessing... I now have curly curly did I say curly hair which I never had in my whole life.. My hair I lost was straight as a stick and natural red with starting of silver.  you notice I didn't say grey.... Now it grew back black and grey with curls... Ronni