Ovarian Cancer Community
complex cyst with internal septi could be cancer with a negative CA-12...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

complex cyst with internal septi could be cancer with a negative CA-125 result?

I'm  recently turnes 36. I' married and have 3 beautiful children.   In 2004 I had a partial hysterectomy and left oophorectomy because I was dianosed with a positive PAP (level 3) several times. Before that, I suffered from  endiometrosis (level 4) for several years.  A few weeks ago I started to have  severe pain on my lower abdomen, groin  and lower back.  After a pelvic CT and ultrasound the doctors dianosed a complex cyst with internal septi measuring 5 cm on my right ovary with prominent right lower quadrant mesenteric lymph nodes.  They also discovered a solid exophytic renal mass measuring 2 cm and a 2cm abnormal mass with a ring enhacement pattern on my left breast. Anywow, my CA-125, CA-19-9, CEA all came back negatives!! Should I still be worried that this painfull cyst can be cancer? I had an appointment with an oncolgyst OB but if anyone can give some input on this matter i certainly would appreciate it. Thank u!
CA125's are not perfect.  Usually, as far as I know, any cyst (malignant or benign) can raise the CA125 as does endometriosis, etc.  Glad you have an appt. with your MD.  I assume the cyst will be removed and then a biopsy can be done?
Unfortunately, the only way to rule out ovarian cancer is biopsy.  However, from your test results that seems less likely for ovarian cancer.  I am not sure what they mean in terms of other types of cancer.  But, please follow up and ask your doctor to clarify your test results.  I truly believe you will know if something isn't right and should keep pursuing information until you get answers.  Best wishes.
Thanks for your notes. Yes. The ASC made me an appt with an onco OB-GYN from US ( I'm from PR!).  He spoke with a collegue here for my first check-up and I should have an appt next week.   Can anyone tell me if some of this CA test can have false negatives and why?  Thanks!! :)
Yes, the CA-125 only measures a certain protein and not all tumors cause it to raise.  In fact, you can have stage 4 ovarian cancer and not have a high CA-125.  It is more of a tool to monitor disease activity in women who already have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and have tumors that cause the number to rise.  For this reason, most doctors only run this test after an ovarian mass has been detected and don't use it as a screening test for ovarian cancer.  It is quite confusing but the presences of CA-125 doesnt mean you do have cancer and the absence of CA-125 doesn't mean you don't.

You mention masses in your kidneys, breast and a lymph node that is enlarged.  I am sure your gyn/onc will mention that it is possible to have ovarian tumors that are secondary meaning that the cancer didn't start there and therefore, it wouldn't be classified as ovarian cancer.  I think you previous cervical cancer risk issues are suspect too.  I would try to make sure you have all of those records for your gyn/onc appt.  I am glad you are going to a specialist.  I will be praying for you and that perhaps all these finding are benign conincidences. Please let us know how it goes.

Shelly