Ovarian Cancer Community
complex cystic lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

complex cystic lesion

What is the difference between a lesion and a cyst and what does complex mean?  Also what is the significance in debris.  I have been bleeding heavy for over a month and have a lot of pain my right abdomen.  They found a complex cystic lesion in my right ovary but just want to watch it for a couple months.  I am kind of worried.
Hi...terms like lesion and mass are often interchanged when used to descibe something seen on diagnostic image. Since cysts are common and most likely what the lesion is, some will refer to as cyst, but if not sure they will use lesion or mass. A simple cyst is usually a sack with clear fluid, if complex it will have debris and possibly solid areas, so looks white or gray where solid is as compared to black for clear. A complex cystic lesion could result from blood in the cyst (hemorrhagic for bleeding) which is benign. also heavy bleeding could be from endometriosis which also can get in ovary (called chocolate cyst). A complex cyst should be followed and common to have repeat ultrasound after 6 weeks. This will feel like forever, so if you feel much discomfort, you should not hesitate to ask doctor about sooner. Good luck.

I just read your post and thank you for explaining... they found a 6cm "mass" in left ovary and they called it a left adnexal mass etc.. (dont have my medical record with me) but they said it was partially solid?? I went to a new Obgyn and I do not like him at all, he just read what the ct scan and utlra sound results were from when I went to ER, wants me to come back for another ultra sound, I just dont like the word mass and that its solid, I am in alot of pain and there is nothing I can do right now - im going a little crazy, I want to go work out in my flowers and do my yard work, but all I want to do is sleep, Also I called back today and got my CA125 results - it was 14.4??
Thanks for any info.. and nice to meet everyone Michelle
Sorry you are in pain, I ahd quite an ordeal last summer with much abdominal and back pain and found a mass/cyst on my left ovary. I ahd 2 doozy doctors who said cysts are common and no big deal, but I had many symptoms and pain. So pursued and had CA-125 tes t with results of 400 and eventaully chose surgery (for what gyn-oncologist thought was endometriosis in ovary). Upon surgery he found a borderline tumor an dextensive endometreosis. So I can relate to your pain and fear, and working with poor physicians. So I can only emphasize that you know your own body best and know when to sense something is wrong. With that said, be diligent to get answers and  treatment, but don't panic or jump to conclusions, because benign cysts can be very mainful. A CA-125 of 14 is normal, but unfortunately the test is not very accurate, with both false positives and negatives. Hope you feel well soon. Keep in touch.
Hi guys,

have just been told over the phone that i have a large complex cystis lesion.  dont know what to think i have had a few problems down stairs for a quiet a few years.  What happens now ??? i see my G.P on saturday. got 3 kids and a husband scared!!!!!.

hi i can relate just got results that said i have a complex cystic lesion on my cervix about 1.6 cm was told not to worry will be doing another ultra sound in 3 months that seems long . can't help but worry & be scared