Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
complex ovarian cyst "suspicious"
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

complex ovarian cyst "suspicious"

I am 36 yo.  I had 4 c sections with a postpartum hemorrhage after the 2nd and a uterine hemorrhage immediately following the 4th (July 2006) that required a TAH that left me only with my left ovary (I had had a tubal too at the time of the C section.  I had a complex hemorrhagic cyst (very painful) in that ovary that was followed until April 2007 and removed laparoscopically when it reach 8cm.  3 weeks ago I went to my yearly suspecting it was returning and was shocked that it is back very complex, debris filled, and 8.7 cm already.  It is very septated and appears to be one very large cyst or 3 conjoined smaller cysts completely filling the ovary.  They want to remove it ASAP but said I could wait until after the holidays at my request.  CA 125 and bloodwork was normal.  Their opinion is that there is a 5% chance it could be malignant and therefore I should have the entire ovary removed--putting me in surgical menopause.  I don't want menopause, but even more don't want cancer.  I worry since they never did a CA 125 in April or frozen section, that it grew back so fast.  I have fatigue, back pain, and stomach issues and diarrhea frequently.  What is your opinion on waiting a few weeks? Cyst removal vs. ovary removal/and whether the ovary would even be worth saving due to the fact I may now be predisposed to getting these large cysts anyway.  Do you have an opinion on laparoscopy vs. laparotomy?  I have 4 kids at home, 2 toddlers.  How reliable is the CA 125.  I am worried now and questioning my choices.  I have an appt for a 2nd opinion from a gyn onc on Tuesday.