Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
complex ovarian cyst "suspicious"
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

complex ovarian cyst "suspicious"

I am 36 yo.  I had 4 c sections with a postpartum hemorrhage after the 2nd and a uterine hemorrhage immediately following the 4th (July 2006) that required a TAH that left me only with my left ovary (I had had a tubal too at the time of the C section.  I had a complex hemorrhagic cyst (very painful) in that ovary that was followed until April 2007 and removed laparoscopically when it reach 8cm.  3 weeks ago I went to my yearly suspecting it was returning and was shocked that it is back very complex, debris filled, and 8.7 cm already.  It is very septated and appears to be one very large cyst or 3 conjoined smaller cysts completely filling the ovary.  They want to remove it ASAP but said I could wait until after the holidays at my request.  CA 125 and bloodwork was normal.  Their opinion is that there is a 5% chance it could be malignant and therefore I should have the entire ovary removed--putting me in surgical menopause.  I don't want menopause, but even more don't want cancer.  I worry since they never did a CA 125 in April or frozen section, that it grew back so fast.  I have fatigue, back pain, and stomach issues and diarrhea frequently.  What is your opinion on waiting a few weeks? Cyst removal vs. ovary removal/and whether the ovary would even be worth saving due to the fact I may now be predisposed to getting these large cysts anyway.  Do you have an opinion on laparoscopy vs. laparotomy?  I have 4 kids at home, 2 toddlers.  How reliable is the CA 125.  I am worried now and questioning my choices.  I have an appt for a 2nd opinion from a gyn onc on Tuesday.
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
hi there,
It sounds like you have been given good advice.
i would say that starting with a laparoscopy to see if it is technically possibel to remove the cyst is reasonable
-waiting a few weeks until afetr the holidasy should b\not make any difference even in the unlikely event it is a cancer
-you will have to weigh the pros and cons of just removing the cyst versus the whole ovary. You should ask you r doctor about that. If you have had benign cysts and no rick for cancer, then preserving the ovary is reasonable.
However if it is not possible to really remove the cyst without removing the whole ovary, you should consider the removal of the whole ovary .

At 36 years old, add back estrogen therapy is reasonable
best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
,
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank