Ovarian Cancer Community
cyst on left ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

cyst on left ovary

I'm in desperate need of information.  Last week I went for a sonogram because my gyno thought I had an enlarged uterus.  Turns out they found a blood filled cyst on my left ovary.  My symptoms include, pelvic pressure, brown mucousy discharge after sex, tinges of pain during ovulation and spotting (brown in color).  My gyno sent me for the CA-125 test of which I have not received the results yet.  I'm now wondering if my weight problem and depressed state are all connected with this finding.  My gyno mentioned endometriosis, but wants me to wait 2 menstrual cycles and then repeat the sonogram to see if there has been any change with the cyst.  Needless to say, I am now a nervous wreck and since the sonogram my spotting has gotten worse (dark brown in color)and now has a foul odor.  If anyone has any info for me to put my mind at ease I would greatly appreciate it!!
I had an endometrioma removed with my left ovary late last year.  My cyst contained the endometrial tissue ("blood")  as well as some solid components and septations ("walls") within the cyst.  I discussed my symptoms with my doctor and she said that these cysts can cause hormonal changes in addition to the body producing prolactins because of the diseased condition of the ovary.   I did lose some weight after the surgery, and the longer that I get from my surgery the more that I suspect my ovary might have had some problems for a long time.   I just feel better, both physically and emotionally, than I had in a long time.  In fact, I recently told a friend that I feel like a thirty year old again.  I had been on a synthetic progesterone for a few months after the surgery, but I am no longer taking that medication.  It will be interesting to learn if my cycles resume a normal schedule now that the diseased ovary is gone.

However, once my cyst was discovered, I was scheduled for surgery. My cyst was removed about three weeks after its discovery.  A cyst is much, much less likely to be malignant, but it can happen.  And the only way to rule out cancer is to remove the cyst and send it to the lab.
MickeyVicki - your cyst sounds like what I hope mine to be... do you mind me asking if your CA-125 level was raised due to the endometrioma?
No, my CA-125 result was 23 on a scale of up to 35 being in normal range, and results over 100 possibly indicating cancer.  However, when I found this site last year (just after my diagnosis) I quickly learned that the CA-125 test is not at all reliable for cancer diagnosis.  There were women posting on this site who had low CA-125 values who were still found to have cancer, and other women who had high values - in one case I seem to recall a woman stating her score was in the 300s - who were found to be cancer-free.  So many health variables can influence the CA-125 results.
i have a cyst on my left ovary and i'm having liposcopic surgery in a couple of weeks.i was wondering if anyone can
tell me what to expect and what symtoms (symptoms) is normal. i fill sick and my stomach cramps alot . thanks!
I just found out that I have a cyst on left ovary and my docotor told me the same thing wait two cycles then recheck
A related discussion, help was started.