Ovarian Cancer Community
dermoid cyst size and removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

dermoid cyst size and removal

i have had a ultrasound scan which showed a dermoid cyst which is 17cm long (width unknown) this tumor is growing teeth. i have an appointment with a gyni next week  however does anyone know if this is a normal or large sized cyst? I have been looking 5 months pregnant for a while. do you think they will operate fairly soon. how long will i be out of action.  they also cannot see one of my ovaries. does this mean i may have hysterectomy.

my cyst was 10cm when it was found & 12cm by the time of surgery. i wanted it out asap!
how long wer you in hospital was recovery long
Hi there and welcome!  I had 2 softball sized dermoids (12 inches in diameter each!!) removed 12/21/05.  Along with the dermoids, my left ovary and 90% of my right one was removed.  Mine had hair, teeth, bone, cartlidge, skin, and salvary glands.  Recovery took some time, I was feeling almost myself at the 6 month mark....however at that time I had to have a TVH and I am now 5 weeks post op for that.  If you have the laproscopy, you can expect major swelly belly.  It does take your body 6 months to 1 year to fully recover from surgery.  The main thing is to rest, rest, rest, and not to lift a thing!  Good luck and keep us posted.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
That's a good sized dermoid cyst! The only treatment is surgery, which most women want because they don't want the 'alien hairball' living inside them for any longer than necessary! :D
There may be a possibility of having to remove the ovary, but that does not mean that you lose everything! The remaining ovary just does the job of both.
Hang in there, and keep in touch!
~Marianne
thanks for your comments   however i was hoping that after op i would not look pregnant will this eventually go. also how long does op last if only dermoid removal.  i have only gained weight since this thing has been inside me
You will most likely have swelly belly after the surgery.  However once that goes away you should be back to your normal self.
~Tascha
that is a large cyst, mine was 20cm, and I looked pregnant!  I am very petite, only 5' and normally around a 26" waist, so you can imagine how urgent I thought it was to get it out!  still, doctors have their own agendas and it took a week from my ultrasound to get it out.
thank s for your comments am seing gyni on monday 7th august will keep you posted.
You will have swelly belly but it will be totally different to the horrible pregnant hard weirdo belly you have now. It will be soft and normal without the strange shape that you have been denying with sit ups and diets for the last 6 months. and when you lie on your back your tummy will be flat again rather than sticking out. My tumor was huge and when I got home from hossy I just sat there looking in the mirror in disbelief. I went into hospital 9 stone came home just over 7 and a half. Before I went in I couldnt even sit down in the car properly the tumor was pressing on everything including my diaphram, I was getting muscle spasms during the night. It was far more uncomfortable than pregnancy. Swelly belly - nothing in comparison but thats only applicable for those in the huge tumor brigade.

You know I still can not get my head around the fact I didnt pick up on it sooner, ok ok everything turned out fine but it makes me question my own perceptions - even now! I mean there were elongated things at the side I could atually grab.

Anna x
thanks everyone will let u know what happens monday

jane the shopaholic.(i will have to shop on line during recovery wont be the same though)
my daughter just turned 14 nov 28 dec 12 they found a golfball size dermoid cyst next to her left ovary there is a good chance she will have the ovary removed.we will find out the results from surgery  dec 19th pray for us thanks
oh and my daughters cyst has a tooth in it lol medical mystery lol it could be a birth defect.we dont know too much yet.