Ovarian Cancer Community
dermoid cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

dermoid cyst

i was in the emergency room this weekend with what was originally thought to be appendicitis.  turns out, i was having surgery the next day to remove a softball sized dermoid cyst.  i have had symptoms for a while that noone has been able to explain--even making me feel like i was crazy or something.  unexplainable weight gain (had thyroid tested several times, even the doctor was baffled to see how much weight i had gained in between visits), severe bloating (people have told me i look pregnant), severe gas, changes in bowel movements/consistency, fatigue/loss of energy, abdominal pain--sometimes sharp pains but an overall tenderness.  anyway, i had the surgery and they had to remove my right ovary.  this has all happened kinda fast, and i have a bad feeling that won't go away.  the doctor said most of these are benign and that my left ovary looked perfect.  regardless, they will still test it right?  how long would it take to get the results?  my follow up appointment is in a week and a half. any advice here?
I had a small dermoid removed in Feb. they usually are 99% benign. I believe during surgery they send a sample to the lab. Then decide if you need more extensive surgery. After surgery they SHOULD send it for further testing to be positive. You should have the results when you do your follow up. Tried not to worry and just take care of yourself. Make a list of questions before you see the Dr. cause once you get in there you'll forget what you want to ask. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Good Luck :)
thank you!