Ovarian Cancer Community
dermoid size of 24 week pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

dermoid size of 24 week pregnancy

HI I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM GYNI WHO HAS ADVISED THAT MY DERMOID IS SIZE OF 24WK PREGNANCY.  IT STRETCHES FROM JUST UNDER MY BREAST BONE TO MY BIKINI LINE.  I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE INCISION TO REMOVE IT WILL BE DONE FROM MY NAVEL TO MY PUBIC BONE.  HAS ANYONE HAD ONE THIS SIZE DERMOID ? ALSO I MAY HAVE TO HAVE FULL HYSTERECTOMY BUT WONT KNOW THAT UNITL I COME AROUND FROM SURGERY.   I HAVE HAD BLOOD TAKEN.  WHAT WILL THIS TELL THEM?

THANKS
SHOPAHOLIC UK
Hi there.  When have they scheduled you for surgery?  Dermoids can get rather large, mine were both 12 inches in diameter.  The blood work could have been just a regular workup, just checking on your blood counts, etc.  Did your dr. request a ca125?  This is not a reliable test in premenopausal women.  Keep us posted.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
HI  I HEAR NURSE SAYING IT WAS FULL BLOODS WHATEVER THAT MEANS?
ALSO DO YOU THINK I WILL BE LEFT WITH A BIG HANG BELLY?  OR WILL I LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT?
I had a 20 cm cyst removed 8 weeks ago and it was fluid filled so I am not sure if there is a difference. I had an incision from the top of my navel, around and down to my pubic bone. Just make sure to rest up. The surgery itself wasn't too bad- I had about 25 staples, which were removed in a week. I was in the hospital for 4 days. It's going to be very hard to walk, cough or use your stomach muscles at all for at least the first 7 days but it gets better. The more walking I did, the better I felt and I was 16 weeks pregnant at the time of my surgery.
Good luck!!!
You may have a slight baggy belly, but the skin will rebound and tighten back up.  Remember it has been stretched out for a while.  Did she say that the cyst was blood filled?  There is something called a chocolate cyst.  This is when mentrual blood flows back into the tube causing a cyst to form filled with old blood.  They are rather nasty but normally benign.
~Tascha
MY CYST IS FILLED WITH TEETH AND HAIR I DONT KNOW ABOUT FLUID BUT IM HOPING TO GO DOWN 2 DRESS SIZES (AM I TRYING TO LIVE A DREAM)

JANE SHOPAHOLIC UK
I am going in this morning to find out my surgery date.  My dermoid is only 4x3x3, yet I look 6 months pregnant all the time now.  When I really swell, you'd think I was 9 months!  I've gained 20 pounds since May, and it is all in my belly!  I too am hoping to go down the 2 dress sizes that I've gained since my troubles.  
These dermoids are nasty things, aren't they?
I wish you the best of luck!
Hi Jane,
I finally have a surgery date!  I go for my laparatomy on Oct 23...a bit of a wait, but at least it is a definitive date now!  My 2nd US showed a very small increase in the dermoid's size (only half a cm) but my doctor was finally able to feel it, and man did it hurt when he found it!

I'm also quite pleased that my date is in October, as normally the wait times here in Canada can be quite long.

Let me know when your date is...who knows maybe we'll have the procedures done around the same time!  :)

Dana
let me know when you are going for surgery.  i should know sometime next week when they migh be able to operate.  it will probably be sept or oct (hopefully)  it depends on how urgent it is and the waiting list on the nhs.

jane

shopaholic uk
Shopaholic-
I lost 7 lbs after a week post op. I have since gained it back being pregnant but you should certainly lose some weight!!!
Don't forget that these ovarian cysts can wreak havoc on your hormonal balance.  This can also cause you to gain weight.
~Tascha
I did have a large dermoid like this, I am very petite, so I actually looked pregnant, the cyst/dermoid went from right under my diaphram to my pelvis.  They also told me I'd have to be cut from above my belly button to my pubic bone.  I found another doctor.  the scar ended up being about 2.5 inches, and it is  below my belly button.
Oh and I was also told the a full hysterectomy was a possibility, but the doctor I finally chose knew how important it was for me to keep my fertility (I;m 21, no kids yet)  and he did the best to preserve it, I only had the affected ovary removed...My suggestion is that you find a doctor who shares your concerns.

Aria
...I should read all of the comments before posting...  I was also worried about saggy skin, but right after my surgery, I had deflated quite a bit and only a little pooch.  Of course, my cyst grew from about 6 or so cm to 20 in two months, so my skin was really stretching. It only took a couple of day for my skin to be normal again and I lost 10 lbs during the ordeal, mostly because before the surgery I couldn't eat; there was no room in my belly, my intestines were near my left lung.  After the surgery, I could feel food painfully moving down my entire system because they palpated my intestines for lumps, so all I'd eat was maybe 1 yogurt a day for about a week.  I've since gained some back, but I was down to 103 which is not realistic for me unless I'm long distance running every day which I did used to do.  Even with my 2.5 in incision, I was very weak for about a week.  couldn't use my abs for about 3 weeks.  If you work out regularly, make sure to ask your doctor when you can use them again, because if you do it too soon you can hemorrage and if you wait too long you will lose some of the elasticity and they'll never be the same!  

Aria