Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
does she need chemotherapy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

does she need chemotherapy?

My aunt is 43 years old and lives in China. She just had a surgical removal of all the ovarium, uterus, adnexa,and fallopian tube on 02/05/2012 because there was an ovarium tumor which had grown as large as 6cm(diameter).

After the surgery, her physician told her that the tumor is a borderline one. Her physician advice that she needs the chemotherapy. But there are also some doctors who don't think she need the chemotherapy. My aunt can't decide what to do.

My aunt's history of surgeries:

Oct 2009, removed left side two-third ovary, the tumor found is called partial borderline tumor by the doctor.

Jan 2010, removed whole right side ovary, the tumor found was benign.

02/05/2012, removed the rest 1/3 left-side ovarium, uterus( there was a hysteromyoma),adnexa, and fallopian tube. The tumor in the left ovary is borderline.

since her first surgery in october 2009, she did medical examination every three months. Almost each time, the doctors said the tumor was growing. Until this April, the doctors in China said the tumor had grown as large as 6cm and she should do the surgery as soon as possible.

Now my aunt is suffering from menopause symptoms due to the surgery. She doesn't know if she should take some vitamins or estrogen medicines.

So would you please give us some advice whether my aunt needs the chemotherapy? And whether she should take some estrogen to ease the menopause symptoms?  Many thanks.
Hi There
thank you for your detailed information

if your aunt has a borderline tumor, then chemotherapy is not indicated.
what is crucially important is to be sure of the pathology report.

it is important to know who was the pathologist who read the slides on the tumor?
Was this an experienced gyn pathologist? if not, your aunt needs a second opinion on the pathology.
In the United states, we routine send the slides to the most experiences pathologists at major academic centers such as Massachusetts General hospital, Johns Hopkins, Mayo clinic and many more.

as far as estrogen after a hysterrectomy, at her age  it would be safe to use estrogen for up to five years.
It is important that hse gets mammograms yearly for breast cancer screening

best wishes