Ovarian Cancer Community
does speed of response mean anything?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

does speed of response mean anything?

Hi...I am newly dx with a complex cyst on my left ovary.  I had a partial hysterectomy three years ago for mymetriosis and the dr left my ovaries as I am not a good candidate for hormone replacement therapy and I was 39 at the time.  A week and a half ago I ended up in the er with really bad abdominal pain and he ran some blood work and did an xray and sent me home with a dose of morphine for the pain and some anti nausea med.  I had an appt with my GP on Monday morning, so I mentioned it to her and she felt the dr missed the blood results being off.  She sent me to get a STAT cat scan of my abdomen and pelvis and some STAT bloodwork....and I wasn't to leave the hospital till she had the results.  The girls behind the desk on both ends dropped the ball and she wanted me to have an ultrasound based on the cat scan results.  The results came back from that on Monday of this week, and the dr said I needed to get into a  gyno.  I called and got in the next morning.  That was yesterday.  They looked at the results I had and sent me back to their own US room.    They informed me I have a 6mm complex ovarian cyst and scheduled  me to meet with the surgeon Tomorrow morning for surgery this weekend(Friday, Saturday or Monday at the latest).  They ordered a CA 125 with results to be available when I meet with the surgeon.

My question is...is the speed that all this is happening with a reason for concern?  When I had my hysterectomy, even tho they suspected cancer it took over 4 months from start to finish in that process.  This speed is not only making my head spin, but scaring me a bit.  Any input is welcome.

Thanks.....Marianne
1 Comment
6MM?????   that seems awfully small for all of this.  If you told us 6cms, that would make a difference.   At 6cms they usually will operate because at that size it can twist and cause problems.  

You are saying surgeon?  Is it a GYN/Oncologist????  NO I DO NOT THINK that you have cancer, these doctors are the experts with 3 years additional training, and if there is the slightest chance that this might be malignant, you want them doing the surgery as they have better success and longer survival rates over OB/GYNs and general surgeons.

Don't consent to surgery until you have all the facts.

Hang in there...I am sure that your head is spinning.....ovarian cancer cannot be diagnosed without a biopsy....so no one can be giving you a diagnosis.  Ovarian cancer is also a very rare disease.