Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
echogenic focus in ovary- cancer?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

echogenic focus in ovary- cancer?!

I had a large amount of bleeding between periods a couple Saturdays ago so called my obgyn. I went that Monday and had a transvaginal ultra sound. The doctor did some other tests (yeast infection, and another that I can't remember) which all came back negative. After she read my ultrasound she said that everything looked fine but there was a very small spot on one of my ovaries (can't remember if it was left or right) so she wanted me to come back in 3-6 months to do another ultrasound.

I am a worrier by nature and this did not sit well with me! I asked her what the spot could be and she seemed annoyed that I was asking. She said it could be a blood clot, calcification, cancer, to name a few but it was too early to tell. She did mention that it is definitely not a cyst because there is no fluid around it/connected to it? I'm not really sure what she meant. I can't just sit around and wait for 3-6 months knowing that something may be seriously wrong in my body.  I made an appointment with an Early Ovarian Cancer Detection center, but they can't see me for a month! I called my obgyn back to ask more questions and spoke with a nurse because my doctor was busy. The nurse said that the spot on my ovary could be an echogenic focus, which I guess are pockets of fluid? I've done some googling on echogenic foci and it sounds like they could be benign or malignant.  It also sounded like most of it ends up to be calcification. But then I read that calcification usually is bad and leads to a malignant tumor or is a predictor of one.

Anyways, now I'm freaking out because I won't be able to see a doctor for a month and when I research online, nothing is in doctor jargon which I do not understand! I would really appreciate it if someone could explain echogenic foci in layman's terms and tell me how bad this really is :(

Thanks you
Tags: vaginal bleeding, echnogenic focus, Ovarian Cancer, ovary
1 Comment
I forgot to ad that I am 30 years old.