Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
enlarged ovary and thickening of endometrium

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Hi I have a query and hope you can please offer advice. I am 48 perimenopausal have been suffering lower abdominal pain and what feels like deep pelvic aching for about a year or so, all doctors have said its just the onset of menopause. the last few weeks i became really unwell, i had UTI's taht wouldn't respond to antibiotics, and the aching in my lower abdomen pelvic area has increased greatly and is with me most of thetime now. i found another doctor she did my bloods including a CA125 which was fine (7) but my urine showed blood she gave antibiotics they didnt work at all symptoms persisted and i had a week off work feeling ver y very uncomfortable. the urine test showed blood in the urine. i also asked for an ultrasound they did a internal ultrasound by this time the next urine test came back showing protein, by this time i saw another doctor o nthis day she was very concerned and suggested i go off to a gyno/oncologist with the transvaginal report. It read the uteris is anteverted. there is a strongimpression of a 19mm isoechoic intramural fibroid at the fundus on the left. the uterus is otherwise normal with a normal secretory phase midline endometrial echo noted (10mm thickness).
Both ovaries are visualised. The right is small and appears anovular the left is bulky (18cc) and contains four simple appearing cystic structures consistent with follicles and what is likely a luteal cyst.no free fluid in the pouch of douglas.

oh apparently the bladder infection is rare Mirabillis or soemthing like that.

I had not had a period for 6 months when several weeks ago i had a full period, then 2 weeks later please advise does it sound like ovarian cancer or uterine cancer even i am worried. i am having another ultrasound next week as gyno was not happy with what this one showed. Does any of this sound like it could be cancer i am really worreid but want to be preapared in case thank so much

gaye
Hi there,
Cancer of the ovary can only be diagnosed by removing the ovary. Cancer of the uterus can be diagnosed by a biopsy of the lining of the uterus. this is called an endometrial biopsy or a D&C (dilation and curettage).

Your symptoms sound more like a problem with your bladder. You should ask your doctor about a consultation with a urologist. you may need an evaluation of your bladder called a cystoscopy (looking inside the bladder. Maybe at the same time , your gynecologist can take a biopsy of the lining of the uterus.

Most ovarian cysts resolve. If it has been a month since your last pelvic ultrasound, I would recommend a repeat ultrasound. If you continue to have a cyst on your ovary, you should ask your doctor about adding a laparoscopy at the time of the biopsy (D&C) and cystoscopy.

please let us know what happens
take care