Ovarian Cancer Community
feels like bone or muscle ache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

feels like bone or muscle ache

On January of 2004 I was diagnosed with stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. Since then I've hade surgery and have been under-going  treatment. Chemo drugs that have been used in my treatment are taxol and carbo, and also what they call bio drugs avastin and tarceva. My ca 125 is going down which is encouraging after months of treatment, but recently I've been having what feels like bone or muscle ache in both my pelvic area and shoulder area. I'm not one to complain about aches or pains but this has me worried. It started about a month ago and seems to be getting worse. Last night me and my boyfriend went for a walk which I love to do but had to end it short because it was uncomfortable for me. The best way to describe they pain which is more like an ache is it feels like I've worked out at the gym and pushed myself too hard.
I've explained all this to the Docter and he has ordered a CT Scan. My question is, is it possible that the cancer might have spread to bone or areas where it could be causing me this discomfort? Have you heard of Ovarian Cancer metasisizing (sorry don't know how to spell that word) to those areas? Please give your thought on what might be happening. I'm getting quite worried. Also could it be the drugs doing this?
I have heard a number of people undergoing chemo complain of joint pain.   When a friend of mine underwent chemotherapy for breast cancer, she complained of joint and muscle pain.  Like you, she experienced pain while walking and she also noticed it especially when standing up or sitting down.  She had to give up walking for a time during her treatment.

One man that I know survived his cancer after several years of intermittent chemotherapy, and years later he later needed a form of joint 'replacement' surgery.  His doctor explained to him that the chemo damaged the cartilage in his joints.
Just letting you know, I had carbo and taxol and the joint pain for me was unbelievable. I had the Nuelasta shot which increased this pain alot. I had to forgo any kind of exercise. I am five months out of chemo and still experiencing this pain especially knees and wrists. I have been told that some people years later still have this pain. My Dr. told me that I might have arthritis. I take Tylenol to help the pain, I am allergic to ibuprofen which probably helps more. Hang in there and good luck.
Hi !

I just posted a question when i saw your post...i also have a friend who is undergoing on chemo theraphy for breast cancer and is having joint pain and aches.