fluid in pelvic cul-de-sac?
I have recently been diagnosed with a 6-7 cm possible teratoma/dermoid cyst (see post for dermiod and time frame for removal).   My lab report from my US said "moderate fluid in pelvic cul-de-sac."  Does anyone know what this means?????  It also says "differential diagnosis includes ovarian dermoid tumor, cystic ovarian benign and malignant neoplasms."  Can someone more versed in this please explain?  Thank you!
Well, basically by noting that there is "moderate" fluid in the cul-de-sac, he or she is stating that there is more fluid than considered normal.  If your cyst is indeed hemorrhaging, then this bleeding could be the source of this fluid.  More fluid than normal is not a good thing; however, it is by no means a diagnosis of cancer, so do not panic!

The statement, "differential diagnosis includes ovarian dermoid tumor, cystic ovarian benign and malignant neoplasms," simply means what you already know - a definitive diagnosis cannot be made for an ovarian mass until it is biopsied.  Therefore, he or she has given the  most likely anwers for the question, "What  is this thing?"     Statistically speaking, dermoids are most commonly benign.
thanks for your input.  The fluid part really made me nervous!  I am feeling bloated and hurting constantly.  On my 112 pound frame, I look bigger than normal!  UGH!  My appt is on Wednesday so I should find out more then.
A differential diagnosis is a list that a practioner develops after reviewing your symptoms.  They list all of the possibilities. Then they go about reducing the list, or eliminating diagnosis on the list by objective data, tests, and further information.  
Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.   I hope you get the answers that you need.  Be sure to take a list of questions so you will not forget to ask anything!
thank you!  I will keep you all posted!
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic...doc says after 2nd US my mass has gone from 6.7 cm to 4cm.  I am hoping things are looking up, but I have had this happen before.  2 years ago (2 days prior to my laparotomy) I had an US to note changes, placement, etc of my teratoma and the US tech could not find anything wrong.  MRI confirmed my fears and was able to locate my very large teratoma.  This go round, I am worried because I still feel a lot of pain, but now (according to my US) my mass is getting smaller.  I know, 4 cm is not real small, but certainly better than 6.7cm!  I wish I felt more relief, but the pain is constant and now I'm not sure what to beleive.  Feels like deja vu!  At this point,. I'm still planning on going on my vacation all next week and hope I don't end up in a hostipal in Mexico! I have a follow-up appt scehuled as soon as I return and I will discuss possible laparoscopy for removal of what's left at that point. Wish me luck!
can u explain further  the impressions/ result in my ultrasound: normal sized anteverted uterus with thickned endometrium. bilateral polycysctic ovaries. no adnexal  mass noted. minimal fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac.. do i have a possible a cancer? what does endometium means? i could not easily understand of this because of the medical terms they used. hope u can help me tnx.
what is the normal size/measure of endometrial stripe? bec it shown in my US is thickened measuring 12.3mm. do effect my health? i keep thinking what will happen to  me.. other suggestion or treatment needed..?
A related discussion, thickend endometrium was started.
A related discussion, Reason for fluid in Cul de sac was started.