Ovarian Cancer Community
fluid retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

fluid retention

If the ovarian cancer is successfully treated does the abdominal fluid disappear?
Mine went away completely by the time I had my second chemo. (carbo/taxol every three wks) At the time of my dx I looked 8 months prego. Had 7 liters drained. 2 wks later had 5 liters drained. Started chemo 1 week after that. Fluid was starting to build again for about a week but then slowly subsided. That was 8 months ago. It hasn't come back. And just to let you know I have stg 3 ovca. Had 6 rounds chemo, surgery and debulking, and at the moment I'm cancer free. Take care. I pray you do well.
Margo
Hi, When I first was dx. they drained 1900cc,then 1 week later at surgery 3500cc. That kept it away for a while. Last Dec I had to have 850cc drained and then I went back on chemo for 2nd recurrence.  If the chemo is working the ascites should not be there,unless it is being caused from another source and not the cancer.  Good luck~~~Joanne
A related discussion, Fluid was started.