Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
help interpreting two ultrasounds please

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Can someone help me understand what this means? Fibroid, something more scary? Obgyn didn't see fibroid, primary care did and so did two ultrasound mds who reviewed. There info is below. The Obgyn told me he saw intenstine up against my bladder NOT a fibroid. He has a really good reputation, so I am confused by all the conflicting info. Please help!  Thank you!

FINDINGS: The uterus is certainly generous at 10.5 x 6.2 x 6.3 cm. There is, however, a 4.2 x 5 cm probable
Ieiomyoma in the lower uterine segment. This certainly could contribute to the overall size ofthe uterus. The
endometrium is normal at 0.49 cm, however. The left ovary has been removed. The right ovary is 3.7 x 2.2 x 3.5 cm. On
the right side, there is a 1.7 x 1.9 cm ovarian cyst. Images were obtained of the urinary bladder and jets of urine can be
seen coming into the bladder from both ureters. There are several nabothian cysts as well.

IMPRESSION:

1. Probable Ieiomyoma in the lower uterine segment which is fairly large measuring 4.2 x 5 cm.
2. Nabothlan cysts.
3. Cysts ofthe right ovary.

ADDENDUM REPORT
Dr. xxx requested this study be reviewed as he was unable to appreciate a Ieiomyoma in the uterus.

In reviewing this study, the uterus does appear to be somewhat bulky and lobular, particularly in the lower uterine
segment. lsuspecl: that the mass suggested on the initial reading could be secondary tovshadowing from bowel causing
the appearance of a mass in the uterus. On transverse scans, there is the suggestion of a mass in the lower uterine
segment but it appears to be fairly circumferential, atypical for a fibroid which is usually eccentric.

IMPRESSION: I supposed that the abnormality noted on ultrasound previously ńould be due to shadowing
but there is certainly a suggestion of a mass in the lower uterine segment. The uterus does appear to be somewhat
lobular and echogenically înhomogeneous.

Addendum Approved 10/02/2012 02:34 PM
Hi There
it all sounds very benign
fibroids are benign muscle growths in the wall of the uterus
the cyst sounds like a normal physiologic cyst
best wishes