Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
intercourse bleeding,need some answers

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

intercourse bleeding,need some answers

Dear sir or maam, I have a question. My girlfriend is having some problems. She is bleeding after we have sex. She is 40 yrs of age and is on the pill. This has only statred to happen as of late. We have been dating since april and our sex life was fine. She had her yearly OBGY exam in june and everything came back fine. About six weeks ago she started to bleed during and after sex. It doesn't happen all of the time but it has become more frequent. She has told me that she has had no pain or discomfort from this, but then a few days ago she said it has started to hurt her just slightly. Yesterday we had sex twice, once in the morning and then again before bed. Both times there was no bleeding at all. Then this morning when she awoke in bed she was bleeding or had bleed in her sleep. Sometimes the bleeding is heavy and sometimes it is hardly anything. She has told me that her periods have not been affected by this and that they are normal. She has made an apointment to see her physician and will be going soon. I am just wondering if you could give me a clue as to what may be going on in this matter. I am not in the least conserned about our sex life, I just want her to be healthy and in good shape. I have researched this topic on the net and also talked with her about it. She has a close friend who is a nurse that has given her some suggestions of what it may be and she has disscussed this with me. Right now I am just trying to get some info on what may be the problem, for good or bad.  Any answers would be appreciated. Please post a return on this site, or send to my E-mail. ***@****  Thank you for your time....tallguy
Hi there,
It is really important for her to have a physical exam. She needs to see a doctor. She may have a laceration or an infection that is causing the new bleeding. It is also possible that she has developed a growth or has a cancer. Bleeding is a warning sign.

Stress is tough. You clearly care about her. So please remind her how important it is for her to go in to the clinic.
take care
She should for sure keep that appointment . I'm sure that more info would be helpful here as there is nothing to go on. She should have a pelvic exam, ultrasound and a thourough discussion with the dr about family history etc. Abnormal bleeding can be cysts, polyps, hormonal changes and many other things. I found several years ago that my bleeding abnormally was caused by the birth control I was taking and once I changed it was a matter of weeks before the bleeding subsided. Her age group seems ot be prone to bleeding issues. I believe some polyps can be seen from ultrasound. In any case I'm sure the lovely doctor will be round soon to answer your post and I imagine it will be very reassuring. Sometimes these "female" issues happen and often there's no indication of why. So don't be consumed with worry.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanx for the input. My girlfriend is going to the doctor in a few days.Thanksgiving and all that postponed it. I have one more question if you have any answers.Could this be caused by extreme stress??? We were talking about a possibility and this came to mind. This all seemed to start to hapen right around the time that she was under HEAVY STRESS!!! and it has continued all the way up untill last week. When it started, she was dealing with a very intense and stressful work load.And I do mean INTENSE! It was wearing on her in a very serious way. There were also a couple of incidents involving her daughter, one of which involved her finding out that her daughter of 16 is not a virgin.This upset her greatly and made her feel as if she had failed as a mother. To say the least very stress inducing, for both of us. There was also a breast cancer scare that had been building around the time when this started. She checked out A-O.K. But I know for FACT that it really shook her up more than she led on. She confided this to me at a later date.  This week of thankgiving she got the work monkey off of her back,FINALLY. In this same week we had sex about four times, all at the end of the week over this weekend. Not once did she bleed, spot, or have any discomfort of any kind. The whole week she has been happier than I have seen her in a least two months. Calm and collected, and all around in a great mood...Peacefull.  So, I guess what I am asking is if you think that all this stress could be a significant factor in this problem. If you have any input plese reply. Thank you so very much...Tallguy