Ovarian Cancer Community
just wondering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

just wondering

As I keep waiting for my next u/s appt. to get closer i can't help but be glued to here and keep searching for some answer.  I know I won't get any definite answers until later but I was just wondering..... I've had 3 dermoids removed before, they came at different times.  This time the doctor said it's a complex cyst that doesn't look like a dermoid.  Would he really be able to tell that do you think from an u/s?  When I found the dermoids before I got the news from a radiologist that sent the info to the doctor that I had then.  Each time it was thought to be a dermoid and they were.  I've been told by a few doctors that they can't believe I've had 3 dermoids, that that is almost unheard of.  After reading online though it doesn't seem to be so unheard of.  Some ladies seem to get many more then just 3 dermoids.  Has anyone on here known of anyone to have gotten more then 3 dermoids?  If I knew it was  a dermoid I wouldn't be so worried.  I'm also a little uncomfortable because this obgyn is the one doing the u/s.  Are obgyn close to being as trained as a radiologist at looking at ultrasounds?  This doctor wanted me to wait until I had a period before I came back in for the u/s.  I've had my period now and have 2 more weeks to go before my appt.  I wonder if i could call and see if I can get it moved up since I've had my period, or is it wise to wait longer to see if there is any difference.
Do you know how large your complex cyst is.  Mine is 5cm.  I am in the same waiting game boat!
oh and how old are you?  I am 32.
Hi Meridith.  I don't know what size my cyst is.  The news that I had one just caught me off guard because I never felt anything going on so I didn't really ask any questions.  I do know he said it was rather small and held up his fingers which if I remember right I would guess to be maybe an inch if that.  I'm 32 to.  Have you had cysts in the past to?  i've never really been overly concerned with the ones I've had in the past because I was told right away that they were probably dermoid cysts but this time without knowing it's driving me crazy.  you know before I got this news I really felt fine, didn't feel like a thing was going on down there except I'd always get quick and strong pains if I sneeze or cough but I'm pretty sure that's just the adhesions from previous surgeries.  I've had back aches for sometime but don't think that's related.  But since I found this out I feel all these little twinges and stuff, it's crazy because I really thinks it's just all in my mind  that I'm feeling all this stuff because i didn't before.  I still feel good though, so I'm pretty lucky compared to so many that have so much pain with theirs.  Do you have any pain with yours?
Thank you Mary for your response.  In the past the dermoids I had were from an u/s - they were found by an u/s.  The people that do u/s are called radiologists aren't they? I said by the radiologists thinking that's what they were called.  :-)  But each time, even with the u/s, they were pretty sure that they were dermoids.  2 of the dermoids were not that big (if I remember right one was about the size of a grape and the other about the size of a plum) and the big one was about the size of a small grapefruit.  Were yours about this size?  Maybe the cyst I have is still a dermoid and it's too small to see if it's really a dermoid, do you think?  I'm still hoping it's a dermoid because from what I've read about dermoids (hopefully I'm right) is that they are almost always benign.  I think that's why I'm so nervous about it this time because they're not telling me they think it's a dermoid.  Did your doctor say anything about having a reaccurance of another dermoid?  I know I have to wait and see.  I keep telling myself no matter what that's just the way it has to be.  I feel like with the surgeries and history of dermoid cysts that it just has to be a dermoid and then I wouldn't worry so much.  Well I'm starting to ramble and don't mean to.  Thank you though for just reading.  :-)
I have a cyst on my right ovary. The doctor wanted me back 7-9 days after the start of next period. I had to call and let them know when I started, then they scheduled my u/s. My doctors office just told me cyst. They didn't give me any other info either. I've already had my other u/s just waiting for results now. Just listen to the ladies on this forum. I don't post all that much, but I read their words of encourgment all the time. It seems to help with the waiting for results.