Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
lump after lapacopic surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

lump after lapacopic surgery
Hi I had laparscopic removal of left ovary and fallopian tube, they said it was a corpus/hemorrhagic cyst with alot of adhesions behind the ovary.  it has been 6 days since the surgery and i developed cellulitis on the skin just below the belly button incision and got put on antibiotics. i have a hard lump just below the belly button incision and still in pain is this normal, was feeling better now I am feeling lousy. she said i could have a uterin infection and put me on another antibiotic but i hesitate to take it as I do not do well with them and was not tested for bacterial infection of the uterus, just assumed do to sensitivity during an exam. thank you Lori
Hi Lori,
A hard lump near the incision can be due to a few different things. The most common is, as you say, a cellulitis. Cellulitis means that some of the normal skin bacteria has overgrown an area that was vulnerable (like an incision). The signs and symptoms include pain, redness, tenderness, and a sensation of heat at that site. The treatment includes local measures such as some "warm soaks" (moist heat), and antibiotics.

If a local skin infection is not improving with antibiotics, it can progress to a deeper infection where there can be pus under the skin. If that occurs it is important to open the incision and let the pus drain.

A lump can be from a small collection of blood called a hematoma. If these do not get infected, they will get absorbed by the body over time.

Sometimes a small collection of clear fluid can occur (a seroma). If tender, it can be drained.

Finally, sometimes, and rarely, a lump can be from a hernia which is a weakness at the incision site. In those cases, fat and sometimes bowel can push through the weakness and cause a bulge.

I cannot comment on whether you should take the extra antibiotic or not. You need to check in with your doc about that. Take care!
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker