Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
lump after lapacopic surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

lump after lapacopic surgery

Hi I had laparscopic removal of left ovary and fallopian tube, they said it was a corpus/hemorrhagic cyst with alot of adhesions behind the ovary.  it has been 6 days since the surgery and i developed cellulitis on the skin just below the belly button incision and got put on antibiotics. i have a hard lump just below the belly button incision and still in pain is this normal, was feeling better now I am feeling lousy. she said i could have a uterin infection and put me on another antibiotic but i hesitate to take it as I do not do well with them and was not tested for bacterial infection of the uterus, just assumed do to sensitivity during an exam. thank you Lori
Hi Lori,
A hard lump near the incision can be due to a few different things. The most common is, as you say, a cellulitis. Cellulitis means that some of the normal skin bacteria has overgrown an area that was vulnerable (like an incision). The signs and symptoms include pain, redness, tenderness, and a sensation of heat at that site. The treatment includes local measures such as some "warm soaks" (moist heat), and antibiotics.

If a local skin infection is not improving with antibiotics, it can progress to a deeper infection where there can be pus under the skin. If that occurs it is important to open the incision and let the pus drain.

A lump can be from a small collection of blood called a hematoma. If these do not get infected, they will get absorbed by the body over time.

Sometimes a small collection of clear fluid can occur (a seroma). If tender, it can be drained.

Finally, sometimes, and rarely, a lump can be from a hernia which is a weakness at the incision site. In those cases, fat and sometimes bowel can push through the weakness and cause a bulge.

I cannot comment on whether you should take the extra antibiotic or not. You need to check in with your doc about that. Take care!