Ovarian Cancer Community
malignant struma ovarii with papillary carcinoma recurrent with new dx ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

malignant struma ovarii with papillary carcinoma recurrent with new dx

I am 37 years old. I was diagnosed in 2006 with malignant struma ovarii with papillary carcinoma in my left ovary. They left my ovary and only removed the mass. I then went for ca125 and radioactive iodine scans pet scans everything at that time was clear. I stopped seeing the Dr in 2010 due to losing my health ins. I had surgery on 10/10/13 to remove my left ovary and tube and just got the pathology report back on the 28th with the new diagnosis of metastatic adenocarcinoma consistent with papillary carcinoma on the peritoneum biopsy. the left ovary showed malignant struma ovarii with papillary carcinoma. I got a staging done with the pathology report and got a staging of IIIb and pT3b(r). my dr wants to destroy my thyroid then do scans to see if there are any other masses. is there anything you can tell me about this cancer? what should I expect and what would be a good course of action?
I had never heard of it but I found this abstract which is interesting. I am not a doctor just someone with Ovarian Cancer.

"Malignant struma ovarii is a rare clinical entity that poses a therapeutic challenge, as there is no 'gold standard' of care. We aimed to develop evaluation and treatment guidelines by reviewing presentation and outcomes of the available literature. We present a 60-year-old female with papillary thyroid carcinoma arising in a mature teratoma, and our multidisciplinary approach to care and follow-up. We examined 59 cases for characteristics, including rates of metastasis and recurrence, and response to surgical and adjuvant treatment. We found higher rates of metastasis and recurrence than traditionally reported, and found no recurrence in patients treated with oophorectomy, thyroidectomy, and I-131 radioablation. A multimodal approach to the treatment of malignant struma ovarii may improve survival and decrease risk of recurrence."

Alex
yes there is not much info online about it but much more now then in 2006. the only info is case studies. when I first was learning about it in 2006 they did not think it spread and the best thing to do was only surgery. but I have seen some sites talking about treating it like other ovarian cancers so I am confused as what would be a good course of action
Since involves the thyroid it seems like it has to be treated differently than other Ovarian Cancers.

Alex
seems to be pointless to post questions here