Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
menopause and chronic pelvic and right flank pain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Hi; two years ago, I started vomiting with severe pain on my left side. I had a 16 cm teratoma, ovary and fallopian tube removed on my right side. A week prior to this surgery, I also had severe pain on my right side. The surgeon checked right side and everything seemed fine. I healed beautifully from teratoma but have had chronic back pain on the right side (to the point that I now have too crawl to the washroom or kitchen .[these bouts last for 7-10 days at a time and are recurring more often]). I am living with chronic right  pelvic pain and a bloated abdomen. I am menopausal, without a period since January 2005 and have mild to moderate hot flushes. I have gained weight and do not have the energy to exercise the excess pounds away. Three years ago I was a size 8, now ballooned to a size 16. I do work every day but now, have  to work from home.
Last year I had exploratory surgery and nothing was found. I was told by the doctor that there is nothing wrong with me and that I was wasting his time. I have never gone back and told my family that I better be in a body bag before I ever see a doctor again!!!  I would like to be proactive and care for myself. What can I do for pain management? Extra strength tylenol offers no relief and I hate taking drugs. Does meditation work?
What are the odds that this is something quite manageable and something I can manage on my own? My right ovary is  barely visable because of my age and menopause but could I still have a problem with that ovary? I am so frustrated because I know my body and this is not normal!
Hi There,

It sounds like you have had a thorough evaluation for a gyn condition and that is not the problem. You should think about other possible reasons for your pain. It could be orthopedic for instance.

Perhaps seeing another kind of doctor to check such as an osteopath or chiropractor. If you have a primary care doctor that you can talk to, it would be good to have a careful overall evaluation.

I hope you are able to sort out this issue
best wishes