Ovarian Cancer Community
mesothelioma/female reproductive system

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

mesothelioma/female reproductive system

I've been through living HELL for three weeks thinking I had mesothelioma of the ovaries as indicated by the pathologist who originally read my slides after a complete hysterectomy for endrometrial cancer.  I then went to UT/Southwestern to see Gyn/Onc and their pathologist said that diagnosis was incorrect and my ovaries were benign for cancer.  I am naturally elated about that and will now go to see Onc/Radiologist to see what treatment program I may benefit from and then follow up with my Gyn/Onc every three months.  My question is (bet you were wondering when it was coming) because my pelvic lymph nodes were not biopsied during my original surgery and my Gyn/Onc does not feel he can successfully go in lapriscopically at this time due to my healing what other tests could be done to help insure that I don't have cancer floating around anywhere else in my body?  My Gyn/Onc is planning to do a CT scan right after Thanksgiving and now I hear from my sister about a PetScan? Which would be better to do under the circumstances?  Thanking you in advance for your response and consideration in this matter of GREAT IMPORTANCE to me.
I just did some research....I googled "CT scan or Pet scan" and got this info;
PET and CT are both standard imaging tools that allow physicians to pinpoint the location of cancer within the body before making treatment recommendations.
The highly sensitive PET scan detects the metabolic signal of actively growing cancer cells in the body and the CT scan probides a detailed picture of the internal anatomy that reveals the location, size and shape of abnormal cancerous growths.
Alone , each imaging test has particular benefits and limitations but when the results of PET and CT scans are "fused" together, the combined image provides complete information on canacer location and metabolism.
The bottom line is that you can have both scan - PET andCT - done at the same time.
I hope this helps a little bit.
Peace.
dian
Thanks for taking the time to research that for me...
I've been overwhelmed since my original diagnosis, surgery, and the ups and downs the Dr/pathologists have put me through.  I will ask my Gny/Onc to do both to compliment each other.