metastatic ovarian cancer
Hi--I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a question about ovarian cancer.I was diagnosed at the end of January this year with stage 4 metastatic ovarian cancer.I'm scheduled to have a biopsy on Monday.My question is--why is ovarian cancer not recognized? Every time we have tried to get some kind of financial help,all anyone wants to do is send us to Breast and Cervical cancer.I'm 50 yrs old and i'm currently unemployed.My husband works but has taken time off to help me.We have been turned down by our county social services as well as medicaid and ssi.Is there any help or hope?
You're right - ovarian cancer does not get the recognition it needs. It's the cancer that "whispers." The symptoms are generally vague and doctors may write them off as stress or bowel problems. Too often the symptoms are ignored until it's too late.

The women on this forum have been fighting for public recognition of this disease, to raise awareness. You'll see pink ribbons and pink yogurt tops all over the place but you won't see teal any where.  Breast cancer is no fun and I have plenty of friends that have fought it. But ovarian cancer is so insidious and deadly. I've lost one local friend to it and another dear friend has been fighting it for 8 years.

I have no idea why your local social services are unwilling to help. Cancer is cancer no matter which body part it affects. I'm afraid you have to be your own advocate, educate people about what's happening to you and ask for, demand even, some help.
I am curious; what is going to be biopsied?
Ovarian cancer is called the "silent cancer" because it is not easily diagnosed until it has  progressed to higher stages.
Here in Iowa we have teaching hospitals associated with the University of Iowa.  If someone here needs assistance it can sometimes be found there.  That is where I would start....check with the larger hospitals and universities to see if they have anything available.
Since you are stage four there might be some drug trials available.....check with local cancer centers....they should be able to get you that information.
Check with MD Anderson in Texas......just google them and you should be directed to their site.
Don't give up.....there has got to be some help out there somewhere.  Please don't just disappear...come back and let us know if you have any luck.  We will keep trying until we find some help.......and, there is "hope"......don't give up.
Peace.
dian