Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarain cyst or cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarain cyst or cancer

I had pain on my right side lower bk and kidney side .I  went for kidney check. the pain was unbearable.sonograph showed no kidney problem.Got x-rays… Dr suggested it was disk bulge. just take physiotherapy and Brufen…. BUT there was a strange shadow on the opposite side of the pain looked like a stone or calcification. Dr got alarmed and got ultrasound it showed everything perfect except this button like shape in the uterus area. The CT scan showed something near the uterus on ovary…the report said maybe calcification on the ovary or ovarian…. What they do not know… now I am going to see gynecologist after 4 days and we will see what they say... can you see ovarain cancer in normal x-ray as mass.. i have no loss of appitite... no problems in urinating.? i am worried?
Sorry you have this hanging over your head, it is very stressfull not to know or ubderstand what the next step is.
What exactly does your sonogram/cat scan report say?
Tests like sonograms, Cat scans and MRI's along with blood tests like CA125, Inhibin A&B, MIS and CEA are just used as a guides for the Dr's to help assist in making a diagnoses(Dx). Unfortunately with any type of suspicious ovarian cyst/mass surgery will be the only way for the Dr's too make a definitive Dx and staging if needed. It is NOT recommended to biopsy any ovarian mass as it could rupture and seed the pelvis with cancer cells if that what it turns out to be.  Please make sure they drew your blood for the following blood tests,Inhibin A&B, CA125 and CEA so at least you have baseline blood work.
If there is any suspician I would immediately find a good GYN/Oncologist surgeon. I would reccomend going to a large tiertiary hopsital where they see large volumes of patients.  This is not to make you worry even more but to make sure that the Dr who treats you has vast experience with diagnosing and treating various types of GYN / Onc issues if that is what it turns out to be, if not all the better! If the Dr wants to remove the cyst/mass via laprascopic procedure PLEASE make sure they have much experience with removing these INTACT! All too often I read posts from patients who say their Dr thought it was a cyst and removed it haphazardly causing a rupture and seeding of the pelvis with cancer cells, only to be found on pathology post removal.
Next: From experience I would be asking for an MRI of the abdomen/pelvis which should be read by a Radiologist that specializes in GYN/ONC they can be pretty precise. My wife went to a radiology practice that does all types of MRI's and the Radiologist read her MRI as a fibroid. I then took her to Sloan Kettering in NYC to see a GYN/ONC surgeon Dr Carol Brown who had the MRI repeated by a GYN/ONC Radiologist who called her DX to the tee which was confirmed after surgery.
The best advice you see all over these posts is you have to be your own advocate, be aggresive (aggressive) and stay on top of your phycicians.
i really thank the med-help family.. and specially you for taking out time to wrtie to me... currently i am in dubai... cause i di not have medical insurance in SD/California which is my home... i am 61 and do not get medicare... it is cheap to see a doctor here... or i will travel to India... but thanks again for your help... i will see what the gyni says and let you know?.... thanks sally 236