Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cancer and bladder problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cancer and bladder problems

I was just wondering if there can be a connection between ovarian cancer and bladder problems? I've been having this odd problem for a few months now where when I sit down I usually have a mild urge to urinate even when I know I don't need to go. Sometimes it becomes really intense, but if I change my position and lie down or stand up, it will pretty much go away. It's almost like there was pressure on the bladder, but then by changing my position it goes away. I had an ultrasound done and my left ovary is four times bigger than my normal sized right ovary. I have to get another ultrasound done to see if it changes, but could an enlarged ovary press against the bladder when you're sitting down? I'm only in my early 20's, so I would hope that this isn't cancer, but I keep wondering more and more if that's what I'm going to find out it is.

An enlargement of any kind within the pelvic region can cause bladder irritation.

Another factor is hormonal disruption.

Hi there... I went into emerg last year with what I was diagnosed twice before as a bladder infection. The pain became very intense and I found myself having to go to the bathroom during the middle of the night. Long story short, it was Ovarian Cancer and I had several tumors, one of which was growing into my bladder, hence the bladder problems. I was 26yrs old at the time with no family history of any type of cancer. Obviously this is an extreme case, but I think it's good that you have already had an ultra sound and will be going back for more. Maybe suggest to them an abdominal U/S as well - my cancer was discovered because my bladder was backing up into my kidney causing it to swell, which was noticed on the U/S. They then ordered a CT scan, suspecting kidney stones, and found all my tumors. Please stay on top of this and don't let anyone try to tell you  that you are too young - it does happen. Also remember that the majority of tumors/cysts on the ovaries are benign, so try not to panic too much at this point.
Good Luck,
Becky
Hi, I had a similar situation.  The only symptoms I had were what you describe - feeling the need to go, but not being able to.  Then suddenly I had to go, but didn't feel the need and had several incontinant eposides, mostly while I was asleep but 2 while awake.  Extremely embarrassing!  So I went to the gyn and he found a grapefruit sized fibroid cyst on my right ovary.  It's impossible to know if its cancerous or not until it can be biopsied after surgery, but the gyn/onc said that there's a 98% chance that its benign.  Like I said, I had no other symptoms and if it wasn't for the incontinent episodes, I would probably have never gone to the doc.  I would definitely get it checked out!