Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cancer grade 3 prognosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cancer grade 3 prognosis

My mom who is 50 years old was diagnosed with ovarian cancer - stage 1c. However they say she is in a higher risk because of the grade- 3- poorly differentiated. Can you tell me what the grade means, are there any people here with similar stage and grade?
Sorry about mother's dx.  stage means how far the cancer has spread, grad means how aggresive (aggressive) the cancer is. grade 1 to grade 3, the cancer is getting more aggresive (aggressive), less differentiated.  You should be still very happy for your mother's dx since her is still 1c, very early, still have good chance to get cured.  

Peace and Love

jun
My diagnosis was exactly the same, as was my age.  3 years later I'm still happy and healthy.  Best of luck to your mom.
Survivor Susie
Thank you for your answers. My mom is on chemo-taxol and carbo,however the level of her white blood cells is very low and her next chemo will probably be delayed. She is very, very scared because of the delay, has no courage at all. Her mom died of breast cancer at the age of 45, so we have a history of breast/ ovarian cancer. I am scared too and desperately seek for survivors from that desease with the same grade.

God help you all and good luck!
I also am 1c grade 3.  They had to delay the start of my 2nd chemo by a week due to low wbc, but started giving me a Neulasta shot the day after chemo, and that has kept my counts up since.

None of us have any guarantees, but her stage, and relatively young age are all working in her favor.  Also, chemo tends to be more effective against the more highly differentiated cancers -- those with higher grade.

Cancer is taumatic because of the uncertainty factor.  You're obviously very caring; so, being there to listen when she wants to talk will help immeasurably, and keep encouraging her to fight her disease and keep hope alive for the future.

Good luck to you both.

Minnie
I am a 5 year survivor who was diagnoses with 1C3 in 2004.  I had 6 rounds of carbo/taxotere chemos following debulking and have been disease free ever since.  From what my onc says, my chances of recurrence are almost nil, so take heart;  there is a good chance your mom will do as well as I have.  

Linda
Hi, sorry to hear about your Mom's dx. Being that they caught it early she has a good chance of getting cured. My prayers are with her. Hugs, Terry
Chemo can be tough but the delays should not be a big issue - most people suffer delays of some kind during treatment. It is easy to fearful in the face of this disease so she needs the support you are obviously providing.

Not sure if you are a daughter or a son... but you should get yourself tested for BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. These are markers of higher risk individuals. This is an inherited risk that can come from either parent. Some people with this gene mutation opt to have pro-active surgery (hysterectomy, oophrectomy and even mastectomy) to reduce future risks. Once your Mom has recovered she should consult experts on how to reduce risks in the future. This will also be useful to you and your family.

Recovery rates are good for your Mom's stage so keep positive.
If you do decide you want to look into the genetic issue, you should speak to a genetic counselor before deciding if you want to get tested.

Also, there is an excellent web site on this topic, www.facingourrisk.org, and you will find a wealth of information there.

Good luck to you and your mother.