Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cancer stage 1c

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cancer stage 1c

I have been diagnosed with stage 1C ovarian, after a total hysterectomy surgery for a massive ovarian cyst, thought to be benign, but found from hystological exams after the operation to be a fully malignant cancer. The cancer was confined to one ovary only, but the cyst broke during surgery, thus the staging as 1C.
I am very confused on what the chances of a total cure are. The oncologists are optimistic and suggest chemotherapy, reporting that it would increase the chances of a complete cure to about 80%. However, from internet sites and speaking to other professionals, including specialist nurses, it looks like usually a cure is much less likely and all chemo might do is delay a recurrence. I would really appreciate some information about this and how much more risk has been caused by the fact that the cyst broke during surgery and therefore the liquid touched other parts.
Thank you.
Being stage 1 is early stage, it is usually found at later stages 3 or4 . What was the cell type and the grade of the cancer? there are many factors involved and everybody is different.
I was stage 1a but still had chemotherapy because the cell type was clear cell and was grade 3, I was diagnosed in April 05 and am doing very well without reccurance. Your age , health status, cell type and grade are all taken into consideration on how well the Doctors predict you will do . Please don,t  read too much into statistics on the internet , they are 5 years old and everybodys case is individual, I nearly drove myself mad and scared myself when I was first diagnosed.
Best Wishes and goodluck,
Angie
My case was very much like yours.  Stage 1C.  The tumor burst during surgery.  I had chemo and am alive and well three years later. I'd never have considered *not* having chemo.

A few other facts for ya. Good news, all of it!  96.8 percent of the cells released when an ovarian tumor ruptures are nonviable. Since your rupture, like mine, occurred during surgery, the docs were right there, immediately cleaning out the fluid.  It didn't have months to spread.  It had minutes, and was removed. On top of that, revised statistics for stage 1C are now a full 90% survival rate for 5 years.

For me, the chemo was a bump in the road.  I continued full-time work.  I continued working out at the gym.  Yeah, I got a little sick, but nothing like the horror stories. And, please don't think I'm a young jock!  I'm a baby boomer, short and overweight!  And I'm a WIMP!

Best of luck in your decision making.

Kathy
Hey there.  I was also diagnosed IC after the rupture of my tumor during removal.  That was in April of 2005 and so far, so good!  
Chemo was more than a "bump in th road" for me......that means, either I am a huge wimp, or we are all different....hmm.....both could be true!
Anyway, truth be told, the injection I got after each chemo gave me the most trouble.  That injection was given in order to keep my blood counts up, and it worked.  Just made my bones hurt like a son of a gun.
Good luck to you.  You are, just as we were, so very lucky to have found this at such an early stage.  Chemo isn't fun , but it is doable.  This is just part of your life, who you are, one of your challenges......you can do this......you have no choice as your children need you.
Hang in there and know we are here for you, and, we've been where you are.  We can help you navigate this dark and scary journey you are begining.  Please do keep us posted, and, remember......there are no stupid questions!!
Take care.
Peace.
dian
You have an excellent chance at a "cure", although we usually never say the word.  I'm hoping for a long term remission -- so long that I will die of natural causes from something else. :-)

I was also staged at 1c, although in my case, the ascites had already developed; so, my prognosis is probably not as good as your's.  Like silver&gold, I am clear cell, which is a high grade cancer; so, my odds aren't as good as others.  

That being said, we are all different, statistics are backwards looking, and they are discovering new and better treatments all the time.  You'll get through this, and likely will have a long and recurrence-free life.

Best,

Minnie
It's interesting how many women are staged 1C because their tumor burst during surgery.  Is it because the doctors aren't careful enough, thinking it's a benign cyst?  I know when I had my operation, my doctor was very clear beforehand that he was going to open me up enough so he could lift the cyst/tumor out carefully and prevent it from rupturing during the surgery.

I was staged 1C borderline, but not because of anything my doctor did.

Would most of these women have been staged 1a if things had gone differently during surgery?

Just wondering................
I, too, am a 1C, diagnosed in Mar. 2004.  I had 6 rounds of carbo/taxoterre because my mother succumbed to ovca in 1975.  I have had no recurrences and NED since then, so I think the chemo is worth it.  To me, it was also a "bump in the road" as someone said earlier.  I am now 67.  

Hope this helps.
Linda
Thank you very much to you all for your support and encouraging comments.
I have now given consent for chemotherapy and will be starting this week on Thursday. They told me that the drugs used will be Carboplatin and Paclitaxol.
I am in my 50s and previously was reasonably healthy ( ie before the cancer) So I hope that the chemo is going to be bearable. Very scared, but I was really encouraged by your experiences and somewhat it feels less lonely now that I have joined the forum.
I do not know what grade the cancer is. I was only told the stage (1C) and that it is a clear cell cancer. I did ask the oncologist what does clear cell mean. She said that to an oncologist is meaningful as each ovarian cancer behaves a bit differently, but really the difference is not significant to a patient. She did not say whether clear cell is more or less aggressive and I did not think to ask!
Love to you all
Valentine
I was dx in 2008 with ovc stage 2 and i think c , do the chemo. i have been good for the last year. in fact see onc today for the usual round of test. chemo can be annoying. the side effects, but i rather be around for a while instead.  Take one step at a time we are here for you.
Thank you Helen.
I have now started (last thursday) and decided I want to fight this disease as much as I can. How did your last test go ?
Best wishes
Valentine
I was also Stage 1C. Mine burst on its own which is how they found the " immature teratoma"  which is what they called it. Mine was a Germ cell tumor. The recommendation for 1C is chemo because who knows where cells can travel. I got 4 rounds of very intense chemo. Between the surgery and the chemo its been the roughest 4 months of my life. I just finished Chemo and I'm still waiting to feel back to normal.

I only had one ovary (right) removed and the mass. I was very strong about keeping one if there was no problem because I want to have children! I'm only 28 with no children yet.

on a side note anyone around my age know when the hot flashes will stop? I had same kind of chemo as testicular cancer has because of my rare form of cancer (germ cell tumor)