Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cancer

Has anyone had problems with bladder weakness whilst on chemo? My mother in law is on taxol and carboplatin and is having problems of bladder weakness. Is this a common problem resulting from chemo? She had poor kidney function resulting from one of the tumours pressing on her ureter ( pipe from her kidney not urether) and had stents put in to stop them from collapsing. we understand that chemo can also have a neg. affect on the kidneys.
I am very worried. I'm hoping that this is a side affect of the chemo. Following her biopsy, they were almost sure, but not certain of ovarian cancer. She's being treated for ovarian cancer. She had one tumour on her ovary, one on her ureter, one on her bowel, several smaller ones in her stomach during her ct scan in january, she started treatment beginning of may. She was booked in for a biopsy of one of the three tumours and ureter stents (I'm not sure how fast these things grow, but when she whent in for the ureter stents they did a pre op xray and suddenly decided to do a liver biopsy. They haven't confirmed that the cancer has spread to her liver, neither has she asked)Is it the chemo or could it be that the tumour has grown because she's not on the right treatment?
I had bladder weakness for about a week after each chemo. Could never seem to quite get there in time and it would leak out. But later into the chemo this was not a factor.....goood luck
Thankyou! We were really worried that it might be a sign that the stents were causing a problem or that the chemo wasn't working and the tumour had grown.

I hope everything goes ok with you

Claire

I also had a stent put in following my surgery because of post surgical swelling causing my ureter to collapse. I didn't find I had an increased weakness in my bladder functions, but did have several bladder infections that progressed rather quickly into kidney infections. Because the stent runs from the bladder right to the kidney, it's an open door for infection. My only thought to you is if you have any signs of a bladder infection don't wait. Get it checked out immidiately before it turns into a kidney problem.