Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
ovarian cyst - possible cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

ovarian cyst - possible cancer?

I had an ultrasound to locate a missing mirena coil and they found a 4.5cm cyst on my left ovary.  I was told this was nothing to worry about.  They removed my coil and on my insistence the ultrasound was repeated 6 weeks later.  The cyst was still there and the radiographer said it seemed to look ok.  Not happy with this I went to my doctor who at my request did a CA125 test which came back at 66.6.  The day I got my test result, I also received a letter from the hospital for a further appointment at the gyn unit.  The doctor when she gave me my CA results, told me the cyst was made up of more than one tissue type which combined with raised CA levels made it very worrying. She is trying to push forward my hospital appointment but I am out of my mind with worry.  I am 41 yrs old and pre menopausal.  Can anyone offer any advice???
Hi There
it is really scary to have such uncertainty.
You have been a good advocate for yourself and have been great at getting follow up

the most common typ of cyst that does not go away and has a mildly elevated CA 125 is an endometrioma. That is a cyst of endometriosis.

I think at your age, the best next step is surgery to remove the cyst. That will give you the one hundred percent reassurance that it is a benign cyt.
Surgery is usually done as a day surgery procedure with the technique of laparoscopy.
good luck! please let us know what happens
best wishes