Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cyst 8 cm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cyst 8 cm

I have bloating in the abdomen. Constant dull ache on my right side. My recent pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal test showed 2 fibroids and a 8cm ovarian cyst on the right ovary. My doctor said to wait two cycles and then she will check the cyst again by ultrasound. I am concerned that the cyst is corpus lutem, will burst, and/or that I need a oncologist evaluation. My past gyn history is cyst on right ovary in 1993 with pain and fever. Doctor sent me to hospital and performed appendectomy, endoscopy, and IV antibiotics for 5 days.  I would like to know what tests I need, what specialists, and what questions I need to ask the current gyn. I read that there is a classication system for cysts.
I highly recommend that you get a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc.  They are specialists and since 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, they do not just treat cancer patients.  You are wise not to ignore your symptoms and seek medical attention.  At 8cm, it is likely that the cyst will not resolve on it's own and should come out.  Please seek the 2nd opinion.
~Tascha
Tascha is right on...it would be wise for you to see a gyn/oncologist as soon as possible...clearly there is no reason to wait and worry for two more months....please...don't wait...see a gyn/oncologist.
I am rather suprised they are making you wait with an 8 cm cyst. Perhaps the u/s clearly shows it to be functional? second opinion on the double quick march!

Anna x