Ovarian Cancer Community
ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovarian cyst

I am a mother of two.  I had my 2nd in january and haven't felt right since. I got my 1st period in apr, it was heavy enough that they did an u/s to check things out. They found a cyst on my lft ovary. I was put on b/c. I have had severe pain off and on for over a month now in the lower right side of my abdomen. I saw a gp, he was thinking apendicitis and order a ct scan. my right side looks fine but I have a cyst on the lft ovary . I also have an enlarged spleen. I then went to an ob doc , she's not sure if it's the same cyst or not but it's just under 5 cm. It's a fluid filled functional cyst. During my exam I had a tender cervix, uterus, and bladder. My ob doc put me on anitvirial and antifungal medicine and ordered a blood test. My pap came bk normal, I was neg for gohnerra and clymidia. My white blood cells, and hemaglobin are normal. She said that at the end of prescription if I still have pain she wants  to do an exploratory u/s. My gp doesn't think the two are related so he wants me to go to a hematologist for my spleen. I have several systoms that I'm not sure which it belongs too. I have gained 3 inches in my waist  w/out an extra weight gain. I have pain on the right side but my cyst is on the lft. I have urgency to pee but not a high volume-no uti's. I have a long list of what it's not. can a cyst cause these symptoms? should I push to have tyhe cyst removed (if it's the same one it's been there through 4 cycles)? I am also allergic to nsaids so my only relief is a hot rice bag....
Gotta love those rice bags... I couldn't live without mine!
Yes, a cyst can cause all these problems, but a functional cyst would have cycled away by now. So if it were me, I'd follow up with both things (cyst and spleen). It may be that the cyst is causing some problems, and the spleen others.
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Thanks, I am having a hard time with work because my boss doesn't understand why I keep making all these appnmnts when they can't find anything. What is so weird about all of it is my cyst is on the lft ovary & the pain is on the right side. The gp had a ct scan to rule out apendicitius & diverticulitius(splling?). The gp tried to tell me it's probably ibs. I've talked to some people with ibs- the pain doesn't put them on the floor or cause them to go grey & get the sweats. Ravenlady told me about this site. I've a dress I'm supposed to fit into next week for a wedding & I've gained the 3 inches in the waist in month with no weight gain. I'm on b/c, prescriptions, & drinking lots of fluids, no change yet. any other suggestions?
I have to dissagree. IBS can have you on the floor and sweating. I know i have had IBS since i was about 14 and the pain is awful. Also bloating can make you put inches on around the waist without actual weight gain.I have a cyst on my left side making a bout of IBS absolute hell.If you look on any website for ibs you will see that many people suffer lots of different symptoms and unless you actually have it, many dismiss it as an attack of the runs,believe me its much more than this. All that said only you know your body and if you are still sure that somthing is not right push for more tests like colonoscopy ect. Good luck i know what it feels like for people not to belive what you feel is real.