Ovarian Cancer Community
ovaries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ovaries

I know this is a stupid question but I have read that women feel their ovaries or masses in them.  Exactly where in the abdomen are these little things.  I can't seem to  locate them.  Thanks
It is not a stupid question.  I personally can't feel my ovaries, but when having my ultra sound, the tech. pointed out my left ovary on the screen, while she was pushing on the left side of my stomach/abdomen almost directly to the left of my belly button, maybe just an inch or two down.  The right would be the same, of course :).  Again, I am by no means an expert, this is just some hopefully helpful information.
Well, this task is easier if you are skinny as a rail, but it works for any women.    This is a basic guideline to locating the uterus and ovaries.  You should also feel free when you have an exam to ask you doctor to show you these things.

Empty your bladder, then lie down with your back on a firm surface (like a floor.)  Feel the pubic region and feel the "pubic bone."  If you make a fist with  your hand and place it on your abdomen just above but touching the 'pubic bone' then you have located your uterus, and roughly approximated its size if you have a normal, healthy uterus.  You should be able to feel the uterus if your bladder is empty.  The fist is  larger than the uterus for some women, smaller for others.  I personally think the uterus feels like a roll of unbaked bread dough as it is soft but firm.  

The ovaries are located on each side of the uterus, usually no more than two or three inches away (if that far), and are roughly at the same level as the top end of the uterus.  To me, the ovaries feel like small boiled eggs.  No, I am not a chef but you'd think so since these things remind me of food items!!
Thank you very much.  I just returned from having my Ultrasounds of pelvic and everything else.  Tech said it looked normal.  Looked allright to me.  Watched the whole thing.  Told her of the great way to have a women check her ovaries.  She loved it.  Stated it was a question most women were interested in knowing.  Have to tell you that I am a pediatric nurse, never paid any attention to GYN in school.  That was nearly  40 years ago.  THis site is fabulous.  IF more women were aware of these type of places we might just have a better chance of getting healed.