Ovarian Cancer Community
pelvic ultrasound results require ct scan?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

hi. i went to my internist this week for left lower quadrant pain i've been having for some time (6 weeks)  she did a pelvic and said all felt normal and sent me for pelvic ultrasound and tuv.  tech said she saw nothing horrilbe but did see cysts and as i am still menstruating and ovulating,,,that was fairly common. i am 47, have 4 kids and see a gyno every year.  have had nornal check ups always as well as mammograms.  the report said there is a cyst on my uterus, though all organs are normal size, no enlargements, but ask for a ct scan as they can't tell what type of cyst it is (according to nurse, dr. won't call me back)  i have my ct scan tonight but i am petrified!  any thoughts??
I am going for my CT Scan on Monday - by now I am used to them.  The test is not bad, you will probably have to drink 3 large glasses of yucky tasting stuff, but, it's not that horrible.  They will then take some pictures, then if you are getting the scan with contrast, they will inject you with iodine and take more pictures.  The longest part of the test is drinking.  

The doctor is being cautious.  Ovarian cysts are very common and usually they are benign.  

Keep calling until you get the doctor to call you back.

Good luck tonight and let us know how it goes.
thanks so much for your comment.  thie thing i don't get is she said it is on my uterus?  is this still considered an ovarian cyst?
don't know about cysts on uterus...I have heard of fibroids...to be honest, my issues have been ovarian, I know little about issues of the uterus.  I don't think that the cyst on  you uterus would be considered an ovarian cyst.  Sometimes our bodies just produce these things....remember, most ovarian cysts are benign.

fyi: when I got my CT i started crying because when they inject the iodine in you, you get a really warm/hot sensation in your body, it consumes you, its scary but painless.  The other scary part is that you get this gross taste of metal in your mouth and then it feels as if you peed your pants...thats why i started crying.  Just an FYI: dont worry its normal to get that sensation that your wet and you didnt go to the bathroom its just the iodine playing tricks on you
good luck!  
I had to laugh at your comments.  I, too, believed that I had peed my pants and stressed out through the entire scan as to how embarrassing it was going to be when I got up.  They warned me I might feel like I had to pee but not that I would be absolutely convinced that I actually had!