Ovarian Cancer Community
pending results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

pending results

i recently had a transvaginal ultrasound, after several months of ruling out this and that. i've had low back pain, left side pain,  nausea, feeling full, bloating, etc. ulcers have been ruled out but i do have gall stones. i also have a hernia in my navel that is fairly large. i've had ovarian cysts burst on 3 occasions and am hoping that this is another cyst that just won't burst. this has been going on for several months and i was the one to suggest screening for ovarian cancer. when i had the ultrasound done, i saw 3 large dark shapes on the screen, but of course they don't tell you what they are. what i found worrisome was that the technician added color to the images and said they were for contrast. i've never had that during an ultrasound before. there is no history of ovarian cancer in my family that i know of. my pateral grandmother and aunt died of breast ca. i had a partial hysterectoy at 31 (i'm now 49), due to adenomiosis (adenomyosis) and endometreosis. so stopped menstruating then. i have continued to ovulate and have been going through menpause for quite some time. my doctor's appointment is soon, but my question today is: what are the chances that this is more serious than a cyst? should i insist on having the ovary removed whether it's a cyst or not? it's really starting to impact my life, with fever, nausea and pain coming fairly regularly.  i live in canada and the medical system is such that i'll have to really push to get what i need done in a timely manner. thank you.
Tags: cysts
Hello....In my case there was no cancer of any type on either side of my family, yet I am now living with Stage 4 OvCa. If I was you, I would push for a Ct scan, as that is how they picked mine up, but if there is nothing for you to worry about then the scan will also show that. I had a TVU about 18 months before I was dx and it showed negative. Maybe a CA.125 blood test could give a clue, but I would go for the Ct scan. Your problems may not be necessarily cancer, but for peace of mind, do try and get a scan done. My initial symptoms were bloatedness and bowel changes, and after going back and forth to my GP for about 9 months, and he telling me I had IBS, Gastro etc. etc. he finally arranged a Ct scan and I was told the horrid news. Don't leave it too long just on the chance that you are looking at something serious. Wishing you all the best for a good outcome...hugs..Helen..
Thanks for your reply and kind words. what is with some of these doctors anyway? they think we don't know our own bodies. Mine has definitely focussed on the gastro side of things. i have an appt with a GI doc in February. She was very skeptical of the ovarian CA question  in spite of my history with cysts. you really have to be your own best advocate. Today I got a call from her office, asking me to come in right away, as the results are in. i pointed out that i already have an appointment tomorrow morning. obviously i'm hoping it's just another cyst, but it sure feels different and has gone on for quite some time. this forum has been very informative. to know that i'm not the only one who's had trouble getting a proper dx has been a real eye opener. i guess that's why it's such a sneaky disease. it kind of "hides" behind other things until they think to check for that. i will definitely push for a CT scan and hope the wait list isn't too long. i had to wait for 8 months when i injured my back. hopefully this will be taken more seriously. bless you and i wish you the best.
If you have someone to go with you tomorrow, take them just in case.  The color they add to the TVUS checks blood flow and they use them if the cyst is suspicious.  The only way they know for sure what it is, is by biopsy of the cyst and the majority are benign.  They can tell alot from and ultrasound, I never had a CT before surgery, I was diagnosed from ultrasuound, and google sees ultasound as a better screener than CA 125, google news, I believe today.  I am with you in spirit, I have walked those scary shoes.  I hope that it turns out to be benign, keep us posted.
Thanks for telling me that about the color. it's worried me a lot, to tell you the truth. i'll be back here once i hear what the test showed.