Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
platinum resistant
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

platinum resistant

dear doctor Goodman
my mother was diagnosed ovarian cancer in june 2004: iv st g2; she got six cycles carbo-taxol for 4 times: every time disease come back every seven-eight months with raising of ca-125 and arise of liquid in pelvic region; last time doctors given her six cycles of carbo-caelyx and she stopped tre months ago. now ca 125 arise an ther'is liquid in pelvi another time. doctors said that now there is no drug that is better than another; what is the most effective drug in platinum resistant ovarian cancer and what i have to hope from its use.
thank you very much, Giovanni.
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
Dear Giovanni,
Thank you for your question.  It sounds like it has been rough for your mother and I am sure it has been very tough for you as well.  Your mother has received good drugs for ovarian cancer. If the cancer is returning within 6 months of therapy, we do label that cancer as platinum resistant.

There is no best chemo drug when a cancer is platinum resistant. Here is a list of options:
gemzar
topotecan
cytoxan
hexamethylmelamine
navelbine
taxol - in a different schedule such as weekly dosing
taxotere
tamoxifen
arimidex

We do just try one drug after another in this setting. The decision about which drug to use is usually based on side effects and how well a person is doing. There are also clinical trials of phase I and 2 drugs for women with platinum resistant cancer.

You should ask your mother's oncologist about these options.
best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker