Ovarian Cancer Community
please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

please help

Hi Doctor Goodman,

My name is Sophia and I am 23 years old. I have reason to believe that my mother has ovarian cancer and would ask of your expertise based on these results. There were many tests done such as CT scan, abdominal ultrasound, and a blood test (CA-125).  Any advice would be helpful as this is a stressful and emotional time for me and I would like a better understanding of the results and to ask of some kind of guidance for this situation.
     The CT scan procedure was a CT Pelvis w/o contrast, what they suspect is probable ovarian carcinoma with extensive mesenteric adenopathy paritoneal carcinomatosis and ascistes.  What the findings were is as follows: "There is extensive ascites in the upper abdomen extending into the pelvis and cul-de-sac.   There are multiple pelvic and mesenteric masses with irregular heterogeneous appearance.  Several of these masses are confluent and difficult to measure precisely considering lack of contrast material.  One of the largest is located in the left side of the pelvis behind the uterus.  The omentum is probably involved in the right upper quadrant.  There is no other retroperitoneal mass or lymphadenopathy.  There is a normal radiographic appearance of the liver, spleen, kidneys, adrenals, gallbladder and pancreas.  
     The ultrasound was done on the abdominal area and the results are as follows: "Multiple transverse and longitudinal scanning of the abdomen from the umbilicus to the xiphoid was performed.  There is a moderate amount of ascities in the RUQ and LUQ.  The liver, kidneys and spleen appear normal.  The retroperitoneal structures as far as can be seen are unremarkable.  The pancreas appears relatively normal . The gallbladder appears normal as to size shape and position without evidence of cholelithiasis.  The extrahepatic biliary radicles are not dilated.  The common bile duct measures 0.4cm which is within normal limits.  Still noted is a large complex cystic pelvic mass extending to the umbilicus with a moderate amount of free fluid in the pelvis."  The impression is that there isa moderate amount of ascities in the abdomen and a large pelvic complex cystic mass.
    The blood test showed that there is a CA-125 level of 3625 U/mL where the reference range is <21.  
    I am very worried about what these results mean and what are to come.  If there is any advice that you could give me, or if there are any pre-treatment/treatment opportunities that you believe are helpful I would appreciate it.  My mother is planning to get a surgery within the next three weeks for diagnostic purposes as well as to remove any masses that are questionable.  Also, if there are any competent and outstanding gynelogical oncologists or related surgeons, in southern california (we are located in orange county), we are open to suggestions as well. Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best Regards,
Sophia
1 Comment
Sorry everyone, this was intended for Dr. Goodman, but i would appreciate any advice from the community as well.

Thank you