Ovarian Cancer Community
polyp in uterus and septation in cyst on ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I have a uterine polyp that needs to be removed, according to my gyn it can eventually become cancerous, and also some ovarian cysts. One went away on its own, another now is three times larger and has a septation, according to him it means it needs to be watched and consider removing it, according to his nurse it means nothing. I had scheduled the surgery for the polyp, but he wants to delay it and do both at the same time if the cyst needs to be removed to avoid two surgeries. This has been dragging on for 4 months now and I just want to get the polyp surgery over with. I will have one more ultrasound for the cyst a week before its scheduled and decide.

Is this anything to worry about? I have no history of ovarian cancer or cancer. I found an article about uterine polyps which says they don't even need to be removed. Is it necessary to go through a general anesthesia and have all this done? I'm in my early 40's, no children. Thank you for advice.
My Aunt was in pain for months.  She was miserable.  She finally said to her OB dr "LOOK INSIDE ME WILL YA"  She was sick of the pain and new something was wrong.  She went inside to see that my aunt (in her 50's) was 3 cm dialted and had been for months due a ployp.  She took it right out in the office right then.  My aunt immediately felt relief.  Maybe yours can come out that way...I dont know

Thanks Nina,

I am having pain from the cyst maybe, not sure about the polyp, although I have been having irregular periods and some with heavy bleeding. I  have a history of severe menstrual cramps, but not usually irregular periods, but have missed periods for 2-3 months twice in the past two years, the most recent with this polyp showing up.

Right now I'm having bloating, gas,  and pain, pressure, in the right ovary area, but that's pretty much par for the course for me  pre menstrual and I have irritable bowel and chronic back pain from injuries, so it's hard to tell for sure if this is related to the cyst/polyp or not.

I had some ultrasounds in the past 4 years when the symptoms became worse, including severe constipation at periods, some mild stress incontenance, and constant pain in right ovary area and was concerned about ovarian cancer, but nothing has ever turned up until now.

I will ask him at the next ultrasound if it's possible to remove it without true surgery, he mentioned a test when he first found it which could be done in the office where salt water is injected into the uterus, but I didn't want to do it. I don't think I'm dilated, so maybe that's why it needs sedation?
I have a cyst as well and it aggravates me during the month.  Surgery is not an option right now because my doc wants to watch it.  it did decrease in size so hopefully it will be gone soon.  I have ALWAYS suffered from painful periods from the beginning.  I find that the BC pill totally helps with that. I had a baby a year ago so I recently went back on it for the cyst and painful periods.  

As for your polyp, it depends on where it is I guess. I never even heard of them until my aunt had her experience with one.  I never knew that they can turn cancerous too.  If I were you and I was was in constant pain, I would go for the surgery.  I am sure you would feel so much better after.  

Gina
Do you mean uterine fibroids?  If your cyst is getting larger and its septated it may very well need to come out. I had a septated cyst that did go away before my surgery but thats rare from what i have heard and read.  Mine was not getting larger either.  I do know that the fibroids will shrink as you go thru menopause so if they aren't bothering you you don't need to get them out. I guess it depends on the size and quantity of them.  I have a few small ones and im leaving them alone, Im 43.  I would get a second opinion before surgery, it may be that its from your other issues since you have alot going on.  I would request more tests.
Thanks Gina and Dana Anne

I was on BC for about 8 years but they didn't help with my cramps very much and they gave me reflux problems. I'm glad they've helped you, all I can do is take pain killers now when I need to, but fortunately the pain is fairly well controlled with that. I didn't have painful periods until my early twenties and they've gotten worse over the years.

I'm not sure where the polyp is exactly it looks like it's in the middle of my uterus maybe. I'm not sure what the difference is between fibroids and polyps, are they the same thing? I can't find any good explanation online about the difference between the two. I only have one polyp, are they called fibroids if there are multiple polyps with bleeding? The only possible symptom from the polyp may be missing periods and heavier bleeding and cramps during some periods.

My gyn wanted to do the test right away to look at the polyp and then surgery to remove it depending on what it looked like, I refused the test because I would have to be awake and it would be painful and he said he would still do surgery to remove the polyp later after seeing it, and preferred to follow up with ultra sound, to see if the polyp went away, he also delayed to watch the cysts again. I am definitely having pain with this cyst now and I'm just due for a period so that is making things worse. It's now about 4.5  centimeters or so and is pressing on nerves, but I've had this pain before so maybe I've had cysts before and they went away? If I do some exercise it seems to help temporarily with the pain.

Thanks so much for the input. I will let everyone know what happnes and keep all of you in my thoughts too.  

Forgot to add that a friend thought I should get a second opinion also, which I may after the next ultrasound and before the surgery.
Maybe it's just better to have it removed though since he seems worried about cancer down the line, he's a good doctor and is usually aware of all current treatments etc. I know this is bad, but I don't have the energy right now to get a second opinion and deal with all the hassle of insurance company etc. I'm just glad I have insurance for this.