Ovarian Cancer Community
polyps cause pain??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

polyps cause pain??

Hello.  I have written in 2 weeks ago and have seen a gyno on Monday. He booked laproscopic surgery this Thursday. He thought my symptoms were related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome?? Since seeing my general doctor 2 weeks ago my symptoms are continuously changing. I have a 3.5cm cyst on my right ovary. But the pain is on the right. The pain has gotten stronger with additional gasy , noisy movement..which now went up into my stomach. I've become bloated. This pain on my left pelvic area is constant, but now i have pain all around my right side and back.
Then i've just discovered these growths on my vaginal wall. I was freaking out thinking they were warts! One seems to be much larger than the others and are sore too. (I have been with my man 22 years and he says he has been faithful too...amazing but true.
I am wondering if polyps are inside where this pain is coming from? I am hoping this surgery will be an answer to all this, including periods every 2 weeks. (I'm hoping i don't get one when i'm booked for this surgery)
Would anyone know what polyps look like compared to warts? Plus if they are inside on ovaries would that cause pain?
Thanks for your time and this sight is awesome for women!
Sincerely,
Wrinkly & Crumbly
(my mother met this great women from England and she said that she wasn't getting old, just wrinkly and crumbly...maybe I should add Bumby...ha,ha)
I meant to say Pain is on the Left Side in Pelvic area...not right. The cyst is on the right. The pain around my back is on the Left....i'm confusing you!...my mature eyes...hmm,hmm
wrinkly and crumbly
You can have "referred pain" which means that your pain isn't necessarily where the culprit is... uh, that is not the scientific definition, but the best way I know how to explain it.  As for polyps and warts, I'm not sure.  Warts (HPV) are funny things.  If they ARE warsts, you or your man could've been exposed well before you met.  They lie dormant and can reappear.
Whiz is right about HPV being able to crop up anytime, including 23 years later!  Prue speculation, but.  In fact if you have all these other symptoms going on, I bet your immune system is attacked and therefore more difficult to keep HPV at bay as it could have been for such a long time.  Something like 90% of the (US) population has been exposed to and carries the HPV virus in some form.  Weird!  Of course, not everyone's "infected" body is manifested in warts.

Polyps are usually spongy feeling/looking and white (liquid filled) or pink (overgrowth of normal tissues. Warts would probably apear scaly (not flaky) but layers of darked pigmented skin.  A NOT guaranteed way to tell is to soak a washcloth with white vinegar and apply to the suspicious areas.  Unhealthy wart tissue will turn white or light gray and the healthy, living tissue will remain pink.  

Right too about referred pain.  The pain receptors inside your abdomen are pretty unspecific.  It's not like your fingertip, where you can feel the exact spot of a pin-*****.  The pain becomes more generalized and therefore more difficult to identify.

Also, you could have IBS along with he ovarian cyst ausing pain.  Actually, I think IBS is related to female hormores somehow, don't know much about that.  But probably contributing to your gassiness. I hope you feel better soon.  Praying for you.
I had a polyp in my uterus and it was removed via d&c when I had my lap to remove the dermoids.  It was benign.  Didn't even know I had it!  Hope all goes well, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
~Tascha
I don't know a whole lot about warts, but I do know a whole lot about herpes. I know that genital warts are similar to genital herpes, in the way it's passed to someone. I have herpes, thanks to being raped by a co-worker six years ago, just after my husband and I had begun being intimate together. My husband was a virgin when we first had intercourse, so I know I didn't get the herpes from him, and he'd never had any problems down there either. I know the herpes was passed to me from the rape. My first breakout came about a month after the rape. The funny thing is, my husband had never gotten it from me, despite having unprotected sex, even at times just before I had a breakout. He has a very strong immune system, rarely gets sick, etc. But about a month ago, he started having problems down there, some blood that wasn't coming from his anus, but from the skin at the bottom of his testicles. I looked at it and knew immediately what it was. After almost SIX years of having sex unprotected, he's now gotten the virus from me, or it's been dormant in his system for that long, and took advantage of a weakness in his immune system(he's had bronchitis recently). I put some of my prescription cream on it, and it cleared right up.

If it can happen with herpes, I could see the possibility of it happening with warts as well, if your immune system was very strong. My doctor who dx me with the herpes, was so good in helping me understand that herpes, while painful and annoying, is so minor compared to what I could've contracted from the rape. I've come to terms with it, but it tears me up and makes me feel guilty that my hubby has to live with it now too. Of course, he says, it's not a big deal, he's not worried about it.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck with your surgery. You're in my prayers.
Mir
Sorry to hear about your experience.  I'm glad you have been strong enough to come to some peace with it.  Maybe it's your strength that your husband is drawing on...
Cheri
Thankyou all for responding to my questions and also for your prayers. You have touched my heart deeply and no words can say thankyou enough. I am compassionate to all women who have questions and concerns, especially the waiting and unknowingness, it can get to you at times. Thankyou again.
Mir02 thankyou for sharing with me. I am so sorry you were raped. I was too, when i was only 14. It was a very emotional time and it wasn't until recently that i have let go of alot of this emotional pain and baggage with the help of God. I will pray for you too.
I am talking more openly to my children and have just recently told them about this part of my life. I'm trying to help them become more educated and wise about choices, consequences in life. So i'm hoping this situation will help them become wiser and more mature.
I will let you know what happens to me this week. I see my general doctor tomorrow to fill out paperwork and get some blood tests before my surgery. I will ask him to take a look and see what he feels. But i am just so looking forward to getting this surgery, to get it dealt with.
Thankyou mir02. Thankyou everyone too.
ox
Dina