Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
poss cancer
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

poss cancer

have established large cyst 27cms x 23cms x 23cms via scan ?Doctors concern is what is it attached too .Further investigations to be done next wednesday. Had hysterectomy 1982 don't know if total or not. National bowel cancer = okay General health okay. No probs eating, passing urine or motion. Just look about 8months pregnant. Scan lady said kidneys look okay. nobody metioned 'the word' but obviously worried. what is a cyst?  I look after my sister with MS so have to think of  cover for her. Know I should wait for results after next week but any comments greatly appreciated
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There,
At this point you probably have had surgery. I hope that all is well and that the pathology was benign.

A cyst is medically defined as:

an abnormal closed epithelium-lined cavity in the body, containing liquid or semisolid material.

I think of it simply as a blister type collection of fluid surrounded by a skin.
Cyst is not a diagnostic term. It is just a descriptive term.

Cysts related to the ovary are either:
1- "functional" or "physiologic" which means the cysts are related to the normal function of the ovary - the menstrual cycle and ovulation. This are the most common cysts picked up on ultrasound imaging

or

2- tumors or growths or neoplasms
most growths are benign such as dermoid cyst (mature teratoma) or mucinous or serous cystadenomas or fibromas (which are usually solid so not technically a cyst)

the rarest situation is a tumor/growth that has a malignant nature such as an epithelial ovarian cancer.

cysts that do not resolve on their own and are greater than 5 cm in size should be removed surgically.

best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker