Ovarian Cancer Community
power port!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

power port!

Good morning,
I saw on Marie's thread, several mentions of a "power port", I've had the regular chest port for 2 years. the last few times I've had blood draws, or chemo, the nurses have had to double flush it. They said it's not often that the port has to be replaced, but some people's bodies build up a rejection to the port over time.
I'd be interested to know what the power port is, especially if they can also do the ct contrast through it rather than accessing my arm vein.
Thanks, .... Jane
So far all I know is that the chemo nurses and the CT techs praise them.  I will post more info after they put mine in.  I am sure they will tell me more about how it is different than the regular ones.  Marie
Marie, what's the deal ?  Are you having one replaced or is this your first one ?  I am confused (I'll chalk it up to chemo-brain.....this excuse comes in handy some times !).
Peace.
dian
Hi Jane,

I had a power port put in yesterday. It is easy access for a CT scan as long as the place your having the ct scan done at a place that has the PowerLoc safety infusion set.  This hooks up to the power port to put in the contrast agent. It also allows blood draws and IV infusion.  I have my first chemo on Tuesday so I hope it works well.  I am bruised and sore right now from having it put in.  I read the little book they gave me to read. They told me they put in 8-10 of the power ports a week, so I guess it is the new technology.  I don't know since I am new to everything.  As I have something done I am learning from it and everyone here.

Arlynn
This is my first one.  Last time I was on chemo I had a huge I/P port but no port for I/V access.  My veins barely made it through all 18 treatments.  I think the only reason they did was that the chemo nurses were so good at starting I/Vs.  I hope those same nurses will be there for me through this time.  Marie
Is it comfortable or annoying?  I can't imagine how this will feel.  My I/P port was bad, but I got used to it.  Celebrated big when it came out though.  You and I are the same age and now we will be power-port twins.  How cute. LOL Marie
Hi Marie,

I have an IP port too.  That does bother me some. It is place on my right ribs and when I sit I can really feel it. I think when the bruising goes away, the power port won't bother me. I have some nice purple bruising.  It is a lot smaller than the IP port. I really don't think it is going to bother me at all. We have a number of similarities.
Arlynn
Thanks for the info, ladies and my best wishes for both of you to have success with your treatments.
I'm just so sick and tired, of being sick and tired. I wish we could all just wake up from this nightmare and be regular people again!!.... Jane
That says it!  How great it would be to just be regular people again!!  It is hard for me to remember when my conversations didn't include the words, ''tumor", "CA125", "scan",
"biopsy", "onc".......................................What did I used to talk about??  Marie
Had the Purple Power Port put in on Friday...(yesterday) and boy am I sore!  So hope this makes it easier for us all in the future.  The thing is made by a company called "Bard" so I'm calling mine "The Bard"!  LOL> may it give me wisdom, prose and a way with words...

A toast to The Bard in all of us!

Teresa
Cheers!  Marie
The thing that bothers me about ports is when we have to take showers.  I get so skeeeeeered that I am going to get it wet.  It's almost impossible to make that baby water tight. How do ya'll do it? Was I doing something wrong?

I was absolutely freaked out about getting mine OUT when I had it. I begged and begged the doctor to remove it. Finally, he did. I get the feeling that he thinks I may be some sort of nut now. LOL I guess most people tolerate ports much better than me. Oh well. I am a big girl about all the rest that goes along with this disease.
Teresa/1
I didn't even know that they can't get wet.  My I/P port was all under the skin.  I am not going to like this!  Marie
Hi ladies,
I've had my chest port for 2 years, I was never told not to get it wet and I've showered every day. It's under the skin so it can't possibly be damaged.
I wouldn't worry..... Jane
Good.  Thanks.  Marie
Teresa/1 ... do you have a "pic" line or a port.  

A pic line is covered with a bandage between visits and must stay dry ... usually in the arm.

A port is buried under the skin in the upper chest.  Bathing, swimming, etc. all OK.

Judy

I had a pic line.  However, my husband had a port that could not get wet. I know because I had to wrap and cover it every time he showered. It was in his chest. What could be the difference in yours and his?
Was part of it sticking out of his skin?  I have a port that is completely contained under the skin in my chest.  However, when I was on Topotecan and had treatments 5 days a week, they would leave the access to it hooked up.  During that time, I had to use shower shields to keep it covered so the dressing would stay dry.  Still, there was no way to keep it completely dry because the shower shields didn't stay stuck to the skin around it all the time (too many folds of fat, maybe?? :)  ).    

Gail
I had my port put in back in May of 2005.....it is under the skin in my L chest......I think the brand is Bard as well.  I am determined not to have it removed until I am at least 5 years out from the end of my chemo which was October of that same year.  They put this thing in when I was completely awake and I don't want to go through that again!  The doc kept telling me I wouldn't remember anything.....he didn't hang around long once he realized , after the procedure, I hadn't been sedated....anyway, it has served me well and it is sort of a good luck charm as far as I am concerned.  I do get if flushed every 6-7 weeks.
I hope you all have as good a relationship with your buddy the port as I have had with mine.
Peace.
dian
I've had a power port since Aug. 08.  It's probably very similar to your chest port.  Mine is completely under my skin.  I've been told the difference is that it can take injections at a higher pressure, which is what they need for the CT contrast - I do get my CT IV contrast through the power port.  It is fairly new but I think it's becoming more common.  It's pretty much all Memorial Sloan Kettering uses these days as far as I know.
I spoke to the tech doing my CT scans this morning, he's the guy who always does them. He said that they'd need a nurse to do the dye infusion through a port. I guess it boils down to finances, I'd also be a bit concerned about the dye going through my heart, since that's how the port works through the vena cava. That's just me. Thanks for the info..... Jane
Hmmm, I never thought about where it goes.  Doesn't all of your blood go through your heart?  I thought that's how the circulatory system works?  I'll have to ask my onc.

I've never had someone who was not a nurse do the dye injection.  I think because they're always watching for allergic reactions in people they have to have a nurse present?  Or at least the places I've had CT scans have that policy.  In any case, it's never been an issue and none of my insurance companies have ever raised any issue with it.

Anyhow, I'm just happy not to have my arm stuck since my veins are not good!
Of course all blood goes through the heart,  and I'm glad you're port works for your needs.
I was diagnooed with breast cancer on Apr. 16, 2009. I will be 79 yrs. old in Nov. The Onc. recommended a "Power Port". It has been "installed" on June 22, 2009. My veins were getting difficult to access and needed to be as I was dehydrating quickly after "chemo" treatments.I think it will be so much easier on the dear nurses and on "me". I do feel that my might be rejecting this modern day convenience as I have soreness and a dermatitis. BUT, I have also experienced at least a measure of EVERY side effect written on "chemo". I am indeed very disillusioned with that but what else is there for treatment except "chemo"? We women have always had to remain strong to health issues and this seems to see our "scientific
duty" while there is more research for "a Cure" I am praying for a cure for al young women who face this disease in their young years. This is a "journey" I would not have chosen.
In my years of "wisdom" that have stacked up I can only offer one advise
"Go for the Gold" Do whatever you need to to get through the journey.
Choose God as your "Rock" and cling to His promise "I will never forsake you"
The Power Port is a luxury-the poor veins need a break. I would definitely recommend trying it.
In God's grace,
Carol
I got the power port 3 days ago. I was surprised to find it on my right side and threaded to the left. I am a bad girl because I found the tight bandage and tape so uncomfortable that I took it off and redid the gauze and tape. A handy tip for showering (a power port cannot get wet for 3 weeks, no swimming for a month): press and seal. Cut a piece to fit, press it into you skin, and tape all sides and you can shower. It really works! I still have that feeling of something foreign in my body and it bothers me. I also find I can't sleep well because it bothers me to sleep on either side. Anyone know how long it takes to not notice it anymore?
hi- i'm new here-  i have had my power port for almost 6 months i had a pick line before that- the power port  can be used with the contrast  liquid. transfusions chemo - blood draws. - a lot better then trying to start an i v,-- i finally can sleep with out  being uncomfortable , once in a while i feel it- but its odd to realize you have a device inside of you,. the pick line was uncomfortable -my skin was so itchy - from the bandage and tape-. talk to you all later have a good sunday.  sheri