Ovarian Cancer Community
primary peritoneal cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

primary peritoneal cancer

generally speaking, what is the average life expectancy after being diagnosed with stage III metastatic primary peritoneal carcinoma.  i've had surgery to remove the tumor, had a total debulking, appendectomy...don't remember what else.  my ca125 just recently shot up over the 35 mark but there were  no new cancers seen in my latest pet/ct scan. just a lot of scar thickening.  please, i am not looking for an "around the bush" answer.  i'm looking for honesty based on general knowledge of this disease.  i don't want a fairy tail answer either.  just straight talk.  that works best with me.  thank you.

cappyjo
The stats are about the same for your cancer as ovarian cancer.  I have a friend who was diagnosed with stage 3 primary peritoneal cancer a month before I was dx with early stage ovarian cancer.  It is two and half years out at this point and she is in remission.  She has had lots of chemo.  Everyone is different.  You can google ovarian cancer survival statistics and get some numbers, but, I truly believe you can't look at that alone. Best wishes for beating all stats!

Shelly
thank you for your comment.  i am expecting the worst and praying for the best!  i'm just the kind of person that needs info.  it scares me to live in the 'dark'.  however, i should know better because back in '95 my father was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer and the doc told us he might have about 3 months to live. well................he is now 87 y/o and totally beat the odds.  i call him my miracle man!

you never said how you are doing.  are you doing well?

thanks, from a scaredy cat!

cappyjo
Interesting you say that about your father..my grandfather was exactly like that.  No worries about bein scared.  Cancer has its way of doing that to us.  I am doing well, but I have a couple of things from my scans that are "on watch."  I still get a bit nervous at my 3 month visits or when I experience pelvic pain.  I guess all we can do it take it day by day.

Here's to you being called "miracle woman" and many happy, healthy days!

Shelly