Ovarian Cancer Community
re:dermoid cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

re:dermoid cyst

hi im mel,married w/ 3kids & ligated since1999.i have an ovarian dermoid cyst for a year now...my doctor doesn't want me to undergo in ovary operation coz im only 29yrs old.i just want to really know if this could be a cancerous cyst, what are the causes?any option other than ovarian operation?is there any medicine that can burned the dermoid cyst?what is the refferable size of the dermoid cyst before my doctor can make that operation...am i in danger for that dermoid cyst?
         hope to hear from you soon...any answers that can help me understand the dermoid cyst will much appreciated.thank you very much...God bless...
My personal suggestion is to seek the opinion and services of another doctor.  There is a very, very small chance that a dermoid cyst would be malignant, but that very, very small chance does exist.  Worse still, and possibly of greatest importance given your young age, is the risk of rupture and infection.  A dermoid cyst contains cells for such things as hair, bone, teeth, and oil; if it should burst and spill these contents into the abdomen then a severe infection can result.  A competent surgeon can remove a dermoid cyst  by laparascopic surgery.  If the ovary has not been damaged by the dermoid cyst then the ovary can be left intact.
Please get a second opinion.  Doing diagnostic surgery and major surgery are two very differant things.  There are many test and diagnostic procedures, while considered surgery, that will atleast provide you the answers that you need and require a hysterectomy.  Speaking from experience, removing one ovary would only reduce your chances of having children by 20%...the other does pick up the slack.  Please consult another doctor for a second opinion.
Hi... I would really suggest you get a second opinion about this. I too had a cyst called cystic teratoma (or dermoid cyst) growing on my left ovary and I think it has been growing for more than a year. During the last 1.5 years, I've been suffering from back pains, abdominal pains.. plus some symptoms of sciatica (pain that goes along one leg). I found out I had a cyst after getting an ultrasound done and it was around 11cm in diameter.

Two Fridays ago, I went for an emergency surgery because the abdominal pains was excrutiating... I was also vomiting for the past two days.. Right after the surgery, the doctor that did my surgery showed my husband and I the ovary that was taken out. It was huge! Since it was huge, the ovary and part of the fallopian tube got twisted.. which probably gave me a lot of pain. It was benign but we can only confirm that once we get the pathological results.

I am not a doctor but it's kinda funny that your doctor does not want to remove the cyst. From what I understand, if the cyst is less than 5cms, the cyst could be removed from the ovary. However, if it's bigger, like what happened to me, the ovary is removed. Maybe, it's because it's not giving you any grief?? Either way.. you don't really want it to grow and cause you pain in the future.. If it's small cyst, they can usually make an incision and cut the cyst and then suck it out. For my case since it was big, I went through a cesarian. A small cut is alot better than a big one..

And I don't understand why that your age has anything to do with it. I'm 28 and it's a good thing I have the other ovary left. I don't have any children yet.. but after this ordeal, we might have to start thinking about having kids sooner than we earlier planned.
I would go in fora 2nd opinion. I just had a full hysterectomy  2 weeks ago because of a dermoid cyst . Only 2% chance they are cancerous but  for me I was in that  2 % and it was cancerous on the left ovary. pleaqse please get it cecked out  another opinion.